News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

installation/locating seatbelt

Started by terry_208, 2019-08-26 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

Planning ahead while bare body is still on rotisserie.  I'm trying to figure the best place to install floor anchors for lap belts.  The seats are out and I am hoping for someone to give measurements. 

I was thinking about getting weld in plates from wrecking yard but realized I don't know exactly where to weld them into the floors.  I thought about fastening them with the seat bolt but doesn't seem to be the best place.  I'm open to suggestions/thoughts.

This is for my 2 dr Custom in which I've installed new floorboards.

I've started to update my build thread but got a msg telling me it has been more than 120? days and was I sure I wanted to post into this thread:  57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7026.0.  Thoughts, should I update that thread or start a new one?

I'm still having trouble posting links.

Thanks for the help.   
Terry

RICH MUISE

update the old thread, that 120 day notice doesn't change anything. I'll try and get some pics and measurements tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I was able to get at least one per side thru an edge flange on the floor brace. But a thought I just had........I've got bucket seats, so what I did may not work for a bench seat. Have you decided on your interior yet?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

I'm a long way from interior work but have been thinking about something with a stock look. Thank you for the info on the other thread.
Terry

RICH MUISE

Terry, if you haven't decided on seating yet, I'd wait. My buckets have the short buckle side of the belts pretty much up against the tunnel with the stiff short side ending up between the seat and console. That's probably not where you'd want it on a bench seat. Also, if your thinking about 3 point belts, now's the time to do the required welding on the b pillar......just another though, but as I said, I'd wait until a decision has been made on the interior with the exception of making a definite decision on lap belts vs. 3 point. I had thought I'd like 3 point too late.....the body was already in paint.

lalessi1

Mine are just above the curve in the tunnel about 14" from the front of the rear seat.
Lynn

KYBlueOval

I recently looked into seat belts for my Ranchero, and would advise you to wait until you have made up your mind on bench or buckets. Two point or three point.Belts for bucket seats are usually supplied with a hard plastic cover for the side that mounts closest to the tunnel.Which is very different from belts for a bench seat. Wait!
While I'm on the seat belt subject, I'd advise you to shop the various belt suppliers.The pricing is all very close and the colors offered are very limited and usually are identical regardless of who you buy them from. It seems there is only one source for the webbing. I requested color samples of the webbing. They were all identical in color and most used the same numbering system to identify the colors.
The difference between suppliers comes down to the belt retractors and associated hardware.Some use a universal black housing for the retractors. Some use a retractor that is partially color matched to the belt and a portion is black. Others have color matched retractors, and color matched pieces on the belt, and some of the hardware pieces are chrome. There is a lot to look at in deciding what will look best for your ride. But be aware that if you are trying to match the belts to an interior color, there are not that many choices. I did it bassackwards. I knew the basic color I wanted. Decided on the seat belt color and found carpet and material that would go together with the belts.
I've seen many cars with beautiful interiors, all color coordinated, with black seat belts. My bet is they could not get anything to match.

Ford Blue blood

I stopped and talked with Julianos while at the Nationals.  Very informative, we discussed colors and buckles, decided on what I wanted but he did not have the at the show.  I have elected Ivory with the air plane type latch (the others look to GMy to me) with the rigid buckle and a retractor on the latch end alone with the mounting hardware.  Most accommodating and a quality product.

I would shop around and compare but be mindful that it is your butt that is going to be tired down.  My personal looking has landed me in his place.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

In the ever changing back woods of my mind I have changed the color of the belts.  Got to pondering my belly button yesterday afternoon and decided Ivory belts would soil pretty quickly so given the carpet is a rust color I decided the belts would be rust as well.

First blocking of the bed is completed, couple of low spots to be worked and then a second coat of primer......and on and on it goes....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

terry_208

I believe I'll wait to decide positioning of the belts.  I was hoping to weld the plates into the floor before painting and undercoating.  Thanks for the opinions and thoughts.
Terry

John Palmer

So...?..Why not toss a old seat frame into the truck.  Lay a piece of plywood across the seat springs, and mock up the best position that is comfortable for you? 

While your at it, I would for sure add a welded in boss into the B pillar for the shoulder harness mount.  You can just upholster over it if you choose later to go with only lap belts.

The NHRA rule book has a lot of good information about the correct angle, and placement for safe seat belt mounting.  Pay close attention to the mounting height of the shoulder belt relative to the drivers shoulder height.

I'm not in favor of using a roll bar in a street driven vehicle (driven without a helmet), but adding a seat back bar is a good idea.  The advantage to having a Ranchero, is that this would go almost unnoticed and give you a ideal place to mount your shoulder harness.

RICH MUISE

I believe he is working on a 2dr Custom, not a Ranchero

terry_208

Yes, I have a 2 dr custom.  I thought about putting the seat in but I have bracing in the doors and don't want to remove it until the shell is sitting on the frame.  Also, the foam in my seat is crumbling all over.  I'm not ready to fight that battle yet.  My thoughts were to seal the underside of the shell and sit it on the frame while finishing the inside, less the interior.   
Terry

KYBlueOval

Terry, when you do get around to installing seat belts, here is another thing I found in my Seat Belt Research. There are a couple different approaches to the rear seat belts.............I'm assuming you'll be installing rear seat belts........some seat belt suppliers have rear seat belts that have retractors that mount on the package tray area, and others have rear seat belts with very long belts that mount on the floor, BEHIND the rear seat, in the trunk. IMHO, the later is the better looking option. When installed you will only see the belt coming through a slot at the top of the rear seat/package tray area, rather than the entire retractor mounted on the package tray. Just something else to ponder.
John

lalessi1

If you are going simple and want to go forward I can get you dimensions to a point on the body.... with more pics if it helps.
Lynn

terry_208

Thanks Lynn, that would help.  I may prep the interior and the underbody and do both at the same time but I don't know if that sould solve my problem of anchor supports.  I've heard that putting support plates while the body is mounted on the frame is difficult.   
Terry