News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wilwood Caliper Issue

Started by fdlrc, 2019-08-26 21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

fdlrc

Since I installed four wheel Wilwood disc brakes with non-power master cylinder, I've been a little disappointed with my stopping power. I'm putting car back together and noticed I don't have full pad contact with rotor.

Tomorrow I'll see what the backside looks like.

The pictures shows a front rotor. These are attached to Fatman front spindles. There is only one set of mounting holes so the position can't be changed.

I will talk to Fatman, just like to get some insight from you all.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Ray Summitt

Could it be someone shipped the wrong rotors?

lalessi1

Did you get the brakes from Fatman?
Lynn

fdlrc

I will give Fatman a call. I got the brakes in a kit with their spindle. The rear is okay.

fdlrc

Fatman rep stated the caliper brackets are probably for the 12" setup. They will send out a new bracket for 11" rotors/caliper and new pads next week.

RICH MUISE

That makes sense, Les. Sounds like good customer service.
Not 100% sure I'll be in CS next weekend, I'll call if I do. BTW, in case you try to call, my iphone is @ Apple being repaired or replaced for another week or so. my land line is 8 zero 6 379 six two 13
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

too bad they didn't send the 12" rotors

fdlrc

I plan on asking that question when they're back to work after the holiday. I wonder if I can run 12 on the front and 11 on the rear. I do have an adjustable proportion valve.

RICH MUISE

Do your wheels have the room? It looks like they would need to clear what they sent originally, as in the pics. Also, I assume you've checked to make sure the caliper bracket was correct and the  ROTORS they sent were not too small.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fdlrc

No issue Rich with clearance, I run 17" wheels. Yep, I checked, just wrong bracket. Hope to see you if you can, got your number. 

fdlrc

Update: Fatman sent the correct bracket to fit my caliper to my 11" rotors, and new pads. I didn't want to spend the money to upgrade to 12"rotor. Wilwood and Fatman stated the 11" set up I have will be very adequate once I correct the error. They also stated; though the 12" rotors are larger, the associated caliper and pads don't increase the brake pad surface area. I suppose if I changed from my current four piston to six piston calipers, that would increase. Fatman has been great to work with in correcting their error, so hats off to them.

I probably shouldn't jinx it by saying I should have the car on the road in November. It is at upholstery shop now.

fdlrc

I've had the car on the road for awhile now. Gaining back that 33 percent loss in pad to rotor contact (see above) by having the wrong caliper mounts makes all the difference in the world!

When I added these Wilwood brakes initially, I was so very disappointed. When I blew the car apart I thought of adding power brakes of some sort. The tech at Fatman Fab. talked my off the ledge by explaining he has the same stuff (non-power master and four wheel 11" Wilwood discs) on his daily driver 56 Ford sedan.

The brakes are now perfect. Very happy with them. I don't feel I need them to have power assist.

59meteor

Good to know, what master cylinder did you use? I have the Wilwood 11" front discs (solid, no holes or slots), and rear drums. I am using a manual brake master cylinder from a Maverick (15/16" bore size I believe). Cars not driveable yet, but the brakes are bled, so I have no idea what the brake feel will be yet. I did install an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear brakes, so imagine I will need to get the brake bias dialed in once the car is on the road, hopefully in July.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I am running the same Wilwood setup except my rotors are slotted and drilled, stock drums in the back. I am using a non-power master cylinder from a 67 Galaxie with disc/drum brakes. I don't have a proportioning valve believing that the master cylinder does that already. I am very happy with my brakes.
Lynn

gasman826

I've found that an adjustable proportioning valve is unnecessary when using a duel, OEM master cylinder or a duel, aftermarket master cylinder designed for disc/drum or disc/disc.  Everyone that I've installed has the valve wide open for the rear brakes.  If using two master cylinders, a balance bar or adjustable proportioning valve to obtain front to rear balance.