News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My new 57

Started by thumper, 2019-09-04 14:31

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper

Hello everyone, I am a new member,My name is Wayne Williams. My age is 80 and i would like to tell you a story about my love for the 57. In July of 1959 i owned a 1957 Fairlane 500, black and white, it was 2 years old and beautiful. I decided to join the U.S.Army and was inducted that same month and year on the 17th. in Roanoke, Va. I parked the car in front of mom and pops home, gave the keys to mom and told her i would return after basic for the 57 if my next duty station was in the states, i returned in late Sept. to pick up my car and drive to Ft. Meade, Md. A taxi dropped me off at the house and i saw no car. Mom was upset and told me pop went on a drunk, got in a crap game and lost my car. Took some weeks to get past that. Took a bus to Ft. Meade. After 10 years in the military, wife and kids, and grand-kids i finally got around to looking for another 57, been looking for around 4 years and in July of this year i found a black and yellow one in N.C. i picked up the car on the 17th., 60 years to the day that i left the other one. My new one is nice but i will save that story for another post.

Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT
2018 Ford Fusion EcoBoost (Wifes car)

CobraJoe

Welcome aboard Wayne. Cool story, yet sad at the same time. Glad you were able to get back in the game.
Post up some pics, we'd love to see it.

If you are not sure how to post pictures you can try this :  http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7624.msg65489#msg65489
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

thumper

Thanks for the welcome, will post pics. in a few days.
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT

djfordmanjack

Welcome Wayne! That is an interesting story and shows a lot of dedication. We never get tired of seeing 57s over here either!  Guenter

fdlrc

Welcome in Thumper.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

RICH MUISE

Welcome Wayne. Thanks for the intro. Glad your perserverence paid off! I've got a friend here in Texas that has a black and white Fairlane he's had since it was a year old. Got another friend here in town that has a black and yellow one. He bought it in '60 if I remember correctly.
The majority of us here are in the 60-80 age group (I'm coming up quick on 73), so your in good company.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Welcome to the site Wayne.  We like 57 stories.  It's amazing how many guys left their favorite cars at home when they went off to serve, and somehow the car managed to disappear. 
    I'm very happy for you that you have a new 57.
    We also like pictures of 57's.  Jay

thumper

Thank all of you gentlemen for your kind remarks. I will be posting a few pics of my 57 soon. Wife does that, I am not in that pay scale, can give a few details about the car. It had a frame off resto. that was completed in 2003. I do have all the receipts and pics. The car is somewhat needy, seems as if the owner became ill a year or two after finishing up the rebuild, the car sat in the garage until Jan. of this year. My understanding is that for the entire time his wife let it sit with no attention given to the car at all. No start ups or movement of any kind. It was donated to a local charity in N.C. the charity then contracted with a local car dealer to sell it. I saw it on Facebook, called about it and drove down to look at it. 124 mile trip. I bought the car on the 3rd. trip after some haggling. Never took if on a test drive because dealer said it had a braking issue. they had paid someone $600.00 to work on the brakes and on the trip back to the dealership one of the rear wheels started to smoke. Do not know why they did not make the mechanic fix his work. They swore up and down nothing else was wrong with the 57. I bought the car for $5000.00 less than the asking price of 12K. Trucked it home and worked on the brakes. The guy had replaced the master cyl., 2 wheel cyls., and 1 front flex hose. Why not the other hose and 2 wheel cyls. anyway the left rear wheel that was smoking was the 1st. thing i looked at, the shoes were on backwards and i would have bet that was the problem, pulled other 3 wheels and found one more the same way. Fixed those issues and drove it up the street maybe 1/4 mile. Got back to the house and brake pedal was at the top and hard as a brick. it has power brakes. I cracked the fitting at the master cyl. with no pressure on the pedal and fluid spewed out. After removing the  master cyl. i could tell the rod was too long so shortened that with the under the dash adjustment. Also the outlet bolt and fitting that both have holes in them were no where near being lined up. Have started the car several times and pumped the brakes, they seem to work just fine. Gonna drive it tomorrow. A bunch of other stuff is wrong mostly because dumb a-- drove after it sat for 15 years. Will update as i go along. I love reading all these posts on the site.
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT

Ecode70D

WOW!!!!   
    Someone paid $600 for a brake job and ended up with all those problems.  How do people do that kind of crummy work and manage to get away with  it?

RICH MUISE

The best part is............it found the right home! Keep the info coming.

Jeff Norwell

Welcome Wayne!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

thumper

You know, i thought the same thing. Why they accepted that lousy work, i have the invoice and have given a thought or 2 about calling this person, but i did'nt pay the bill. He must not have even given the car a test drive.
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT

RICH MUISE

Am I the only one that googled "S. Boston, Va" to see if thumper had ties to both Boston and Virginia, lol? There IS a S Boston, Va!

Ecode70D

Rich
     I'm glad That you are putting all that blame on some other Boston and not our Boston in Mass.  HAHA
      Also check your email.
JA

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-09-06 10:45
Am I the only one that googled "S. Boston, Va" to see if thumper had ties to both Boston and Virginia, lol? There IS a S Boston, Va!

Yup, couple of NASCAR fellows from there......The Burtons....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II