News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Looking for opinions on wheels

Started by lalessi1, 2019-09-06 15:31

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

That is EXACTLY the look I had in mind what I had in mind with the Argent Silver wheels, thanks a LOT for the pic. My splash apron is Argent Silver so I am thinking the wheels would work in the same color...
Lynn

hiball3985

OK, got the spray can back out  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Jim, You may have saved my me a bunch of money and time! Too soon to say yet. It looks different for sure, MAYBE not what I really want. I have to digest all of this. Can't say thanks enough!
Lynn

djfordmanjack

that looks sweet, but really, it is hard to beat your actual wheels on the car, Lynn ! IMHO you just need a little more sidewall on the rear tires, and a little less on the fronts. I would just leave the wheels and caps as is.
Jim's chrome option looks nice, but makes the car a little more dolled up, which might work with your paint scheme. ( usually a base model Custom doesn't need much doll up and looks a little odd with smoothie wheels. If at all you should use OEM chromed or chrome reversed).

djfordmanjack

btw, this is how Wheel Vintique chrome wheels looked on my Del Rio. pretty similar paint scheme except for the whitewalls.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-09-08 16:11
btw, this is how Wheel Vintique chrome wheels looked on my Del Rio. pretty similar paint scheme except for the whitewalls.
If I live long enough those are the type I will probably use when I switch to 15" and more then likely no hub caps, I've just never been a fan of caps. I prefer more of a Nascar look.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

I have another idea LOL. What if you did the outer part of the rim Argent and left the center black. It would be similar to a small beauty ring.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-09-08 12:41OK, got the spray can back out  :003:
Your spray can works a lot better than mine.
If it was my car I'd put some aftermarket aluminum wheels on it but obviously that's not what Lynn wants.

Coincidentally I discovered a couple weeks ago how well a '57 DD hubcap would fit this aftermarket wheel.  Should be easy enough to make up some fingers to hold the cap in place. They could be attached to the wheel thru the existing round holes & not damage the wheel by drilling holes in them for screws to attach the fingers.
Fuzzy lookin' pix.

djfordmanjack

yes for reference I forgot to mention that they are 15" wheel vintique chrome wheels on my Del Rio. 15x6 frt and 15x7 in the back. they have slightly different offset.

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-09-08 18:51
If I live long enough those are the type I will probably use when I switch to 15" and more then likely no hub caps, I've just never been a fan of caps. I prefer more of a Nascar look.

hiball3985

LOL, the more I think about it maybe I'll do something like this on mine.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-09-09 07:47
LOL, the more I think about it maybe I'll do something like this on mine.
Or like one of these?  :002:

hiball3985

No Tom, When and if I ever change to 15" I'll go with a metal wheel. Maybe something like black rim with Argent outer trim and baby moons. But I change my mind everyday  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

John Palmer

How about this......use 15" O.E. style black steel wheels...?.small O.E. style dog dish caps...?.AND add stainless beauty rings to break up the all black wheels/tires? 

I use this combination on my vintage trailer rebuilds, but powder coat the wheels in the trailer trim color.  The reproduction Chinese hub caps are pretty crappy today, but their stainless steel trim rings are pretty nice quality, and cheap.

My stainless rings come from Hub Cap Mike's in Orange, CA.

hiball3985

John I'm not sure if you are replying to Lynns request or my day dreams. For me I did think about beauty rings but decided they would be too wide, I just want a small 1/2" area to break the tire/rim black. I think paint would be the only way to do that.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Thanks for all the input to date guys. I looked at the pics and I now think I am going to stay with the black! The silver doesn't look as "tough" as the black. I am also thinking I will stay with the 15" rims when I get the 8" wide rims for the back. Since I am planning on 5.25" back spacing The car will look like it has the same wheels front and rear. 275/60 tires are in my future too. They will be the same diameter as the 235/70's on it now.
Lynn