News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Looking for opinions on wheels

Started by lalessi1, 2019-09-06 15:31

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I am a big fan of dog dish hubcaps and I have those on my 15" x 7" wheels that are powder coated black. I am looking for a little more look for my wheels and I would also like to squeeze 8" wide rims on the back using a custom 5.25" back spacing. While looking at options especially from Wheel Vintiques (they will do a custom back spacing) I discovered they offer a 17" factory style wheel that will accept a dog dish. Hum.... I also want to powder coat all 4 wheels Argent Silver. The black wheels on a black and white car seem a little to mundane. No decisions on the size or color as yet. I am torn as usual!!!! 
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Lynn............regardless of the size wheel you use, I'd suggest you paint a wheel Argent Silver and then install the Dog Dish cap to see if you like it, before you have four wheels powder coated.
John

Jeff Norwell

Not sure of the silver Lynn. but your car is perfect in the 2 tone black n white.... I would be more apt to do the wheels in a warm milkshake white with the DD Caps..... but thats me.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Always listen to an artist when considering colors! seriously!
I'm not a huge fan of dog dish caps, but with that said, and knowing that's where you're headed, the key words to what Jeff said is " warm milkshake".
What he is saying, I believe, is let the bright white on the body be the brightest so your eyes are not bouncing back and forth between the car and it's components. Hope that makes sense.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Lynn
   I have to agree with Rich because Old Jeff is an artist and he knows how to make colors do t heir thing.
Jay

hiball3985

If it was me LOL, I would take a picture of the car and then use a paint program to paint and test different color rims and hub cap combinations to see what looks best to your eye, no one elses opinion matters.
I don't like these huge new wheels on any classic car, yuck.. so 17's would be out of the question for me, but its your car so do what pleases you.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Opinions do matter, imho, there just not the final say......opinions get you thinking, or in this case getting the wheels turning.

djfordmanjack

With all things, Lynn, you have to consider that you will be driving around without hubcaps anyways, unless you are going out for a date ! :002: :003:

lalessi1

I am not a fan of big wheels either but they do allow for better tire choices and bigger brakes. If I were to paint them black I doubt few would notice. I really appreciate the comments on color AND trying one with paint prior to powder coating. What's driving this is a while back I saw a black and white Custom like mine but with a black top and the silver wheels, I loved it. Recently I saw a black and white '57 brand X with silver wheels and dog dish caps... that got me going on this again. That for the comments guys... I will keep y'all posted.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

I agree with Jeff.  An off white contrasting with the snow white would look perfect INHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-09-06 17:57
If it was me LOL, I would take a picture of the car and then use a paint program to paint and test different color ....
Hmm.  I messed with that for way too long & still can't get it quite right.  Used one of the few pics I found of Lynn's car.
If I had a brighter pic of it as a very squared up, round wheels,  profile pic it might help.

Lynn, not exactly sure what your looking for but this might give you some idea of what the off white color looks like that guys have mentioned.  Shouldn't stock white wheels be the same white color as the hubcaps, or the white of the body?  Wimbledon white?
Tried to put some thin whitewalls in a pic too.  I've used them to kinda spiff up the look of some vehicles.

RICH MUISE

Just my 2 cents, but those are good examples of why Jeff talked about an off white. If you try to focus on the body of the car in the first pic, your eyes are almost uncontrollably drawn to the wheels, then start bouncing back and forth because of the brighter white on the wheels compared to the body color is drawing your eyes there even though that's not what your trying to look at. Same effect with the whitewalls as added to the pic, but to a lesser degree.
This is gonna sound far fetched, but bear with me a minute..........My second career of 28 years was in custom picture framing. Same principles apply here. When a piece of art is framed properly, the framing should be an extension of the artwork, helping your eyes to focus on the artwork not compete or overwhelm it. One of the ways we did that was to make sure both the lightest and darkest colors were in the artwork, not the framing. Framing materials that are too intense or bright keep your eyes from enjoying the flow/composition of the artwork that a good artist like Jeff designed into it without the observer even being aware of.
This pretty much applies to all colors, not just the whites.
Beautiful house, Lynn.

hiball3985

I don't know, I understand what Rich is saying and that may work for art but I'm not sure about cars.
Guys brains are programed to look at the wheels  :003: Thats usually the first thing your eyes gravitate to unless it's black rims and tires. I think that is why there is such a huge market for all the shiny wheels. I agree I don't like the white wheels and like the black ones with the white walls better. 
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Wow! Thanks for that effort Tom. Very interesting, I wish I had experience with the photo shop thing. Not a fan of white walls at all. I have considered white wheels and I believe they would need to be matched to the white on the hub caps. I am not sure if my car has Colonial White paint since it was painted when I bought it. Wimbledon White is a little "creamier" than the white on the car and the hubcaps, I think?

Rich, thanks again for your input. BTW, that's not my house, it is my neighbors house... it makes a better background!    :002:

I get a lot of compliments on my car (as I am sure we all do), the negative comments are about wheels but more specifically rear tire size. I don't try to please other people but I kind of feel the same, hence this exercise.

A couple of pics...
Lynn

hiball3985

I know you said "I am looking for a little more look for my wheels" but I think anything other then what you have is going to pop. If it was mine I would leave it as is or maybe just chrome. Just tried the front, chrome is just too hard to paint.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang