News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 in a 57

Started by frosty, 2008-08-19 17:44

Previous topic - Next topic

frosty

A few years ago I saw a 57 at a car show an it had a 4.6 in  it. I did not get a chance to talk to the owner, on what it took to get it in and running.
I put a 4.6 in  a 56 f100 it ran good. but it was a lot of work figuring out the wiring. So in this vast world of 57 s does any one know what has to be modified.
I know the gas tank has to have a return, but I have been told it only takes 2 wires from the computer to run the engine, But no one has told me which 2.. And what about the exhaust system, that was a problem on the 56 f 100.
Thanks for the info ahead of time.

cool57

Painless wiring makes a "kit" for the mod swap. I saw it in a 64 Galaxy owned by the son of the owner of Painless, this was 3-4 years ago (whenever power tour came thru here...Spfld. IL) Very nice setup. I think Ron Francis/Telorvek makes a harness too.

Ford Blue blood

Basic hook up is 12 V Battery, 12 V run, 12 V start and ground.  The fuel pump relay will require it's own 12 V source and the "turn on" signal from the computer.  Unless you can read scematics and are familiar with wiring getting the after market kits is the best way to go!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

frosty

thanks  but  I have done all  that in my 56 f 100, I was wondering if  the headers or any other mods I would have to do to a 57 to  put the engine  in .
Thanks again

Geofordman

Headers (which ones fit or do I make my own and which ones to start with?)are the big question I have and can I get the factory computer reprogrammed to run without cats and egr?

Geofordman

I have my 4.6 hanging in the engine bay. The oil filter adaptor/water outlet hits the frame (mine is the truck SOHC,97) The adaptor runs under the motor mount and back about two thirds of the length of the engine. Which model of 4.6 can I scavenge the water outlet and filter adaptor from? I would like it to point forward like I have seen in several pictures (Like the cover of Car Craft this month) Has anybody found a set of headers to fit the SOHC in our beloved '57s?

canadian_ranchero

try a car 4.6.i have one off a t-bird if your interested. your other computer question.is it 1995 and older,or 1996 and newer?  i will be at the swap meet on march 21 in red deer.hope this helps

57AGIN

Geofordman:

Here's a thought for the header problem in putting a 4.6 into a 57, try to do a set of fenderwell headers old style.  Dealing with the width problems of the mod motor will be a challenge what ever way you go.  Going up then down may help with some of the clearance issues.  However, there aren't any header manufacturers doing them, so you'd probably have to find a long established muffler shop with an "Old Timer" familiar with making them.

Here is a shot of Rick's 427 FE powered 57 Custom, with "old style" fenderwell headers.

Bob
57AGIN

KULTULZ

The ECM/PCM can be re-programed to remove EGR and also to modify the fuel and timing curves. Early are EEC-IV and late are EEC-V.

Try looking at MUSTANG SOHC shorties for the swap.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Geofordman

Interesting idea on the headers. I have been making my own headers for my last couple Ford powered stock cars and was planning on fenderwells for my upcoming Gasser project, but on the 4.6 Hmmm....

Thor

Geofordman,
Are you putting a 2V or 4V engine in? If you are putting a 2V in I have a set of Saleen cast Iron header style exhaust manifolds out of a supercharged 96+ 2V 4.6 Saleen Mustang that might work for you. If you want I could take a couple of Pic's and send them to you.
Since this is my first post I should introduce myself. My name is Thor and I have a 1958 Fairlane that was my first car and in my family since new. I have been collecting pieces to build my car for a while and have been trying to decide whether to rebuild the original 292/automatic or go with a more modern drivetrain. I could install the drivetrain out of 93 Mark VIII (4.6 4V) I acquired or a 93 Cobra 5.0 engine that I am rebuilding. I even have current options to install either a 5 speed or Automatic with either of these engines! I need to make a decision and get started on the car one of these days (in the near future).

Hawkeye

Ok if I jump in here with a couple of questionson? (First time user)
With the DOHC motor is there a problem with the rear sump oil pan clearing on the 57 car? Will stk exhaust manifolds clear the fender wells? Also, I had a quote to reprogram the ECM (5.4 Navigator) of $700 to $800. Sounded allfull high as I am told you can get a GM done for half that. Painless said they don't do these motors.

Geofordman

As one who is doing a 4.6 swap I will tell that it is not easy! I am installing a 2v /auto and it hits everthing. Left exhaust manifold hits steering box,bellhousing hits steering arm and the shift linkage hits the floor. I am planning a new trick using a 2002 Mustang crossmember. This will be interesting and I will post pics. soon. Special Thanks to canadian_ranchero for his help in obtaining parts and info. That guy is a wealth of information!