News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brakes

Started by thumper, 2019-10-13 18:31

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper

Hey Guys, need some help on installing a booster with dual master cylinder. After some fab work to the bracket and cylinder rod i have the parts installed. My experience only goes back to the old days and i never did any work on these dual systems. My question is how does the plumbing work, this will be all drums.What is the best way to cut into the existing lines? Assistance will be much appreciated.
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT
2018 Ford Fusion EcoBoost (Wifes car)

Ford Blue blood

First you're going to want to get a tube bender and a flair tool.  Study up on doing the double flairs needed for brake lines. 

Next a proportioning valve assembly from a drum/drum late model car.  This item is required for a true "split" system.

The front brakes and rear can be separated at the junction block near the steering box.  The line leading to the rear needs a coupling to hook to a new line that will hook to the metering block.  The same needs to be done with the line leading to the front.

The metering block should have a port for the brake light switch.  I believe most all of them are 3/8" pipe. 

DO NOT use any thread sealer anywhere in the system!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

thumper

Thanks for those tips, i have the tools  for the job. Looks like my lines are 3/16", next question-----the master cylinder bowls appear to be the same size, which one is used for front ?
Thanks
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT
2018 Ford Fusion EcoBoost (Wifes car)

Ford Blue blood

Is this a complete kit or pieced together parts?  If it is a complete kit the plumbing from the master to the metering block should be with it.  The metering block will have one end with three ports, that is the front brake ports.  The front outlet from the master is the front brakes.

Yes, all the lines should be 3/16s, the threads for the brake switch should be 3/8 pipe.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II