News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

shocks

Started by thumper, 2019-10-18 08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

My rear shocks will allow the rear end to drop so far that the shackles want to reverse. a PITA but I can get the tires off relatively easy. I looked at the compressed length and the travel and I didn't see an issue with the shock bottoming out before the bump stops came into play.
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-10-19 06:37
That brings up a possible issue we haven't discussed in the past that I'm aware of. Is the shock mount in your pic typical of Ranchero's and wagons and sedan deliveries, or has someone modified yours? ...
Rich, I think that you just forgot that it was discussed/mentioned on this board in the past. In fact I saw that you had posted in one or two of the treads where it was mentioned. 
If it had never been mentioned here I wouldn't even have known about it.
No, the mount has not been modified.  Since I took the Ranchero to storage it will be six or seven months before I can pull one of those shocks off & try to determine exactly what it is.
If I can do that then those here with Rancheros,  wagons and sedan deliveries should be able to find a shock that will bolt right on and let the rearend drop far enough to pull a rear wheel with ease.  I'll post my findings in this thread.

RICH MUISE

Hahaha.......yep I just forgot I guess. The scales have tipped. I've forgotten more than I now know about.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-10-20 18:39
Hahaha.......yep I just forgot I guess. The scales have tipped. I've forgotten more than I now know about.
Well, Rich, since you don't have a Ranchero, wagon or a sedan delivery I can see how that tidbit might slip away.  Besides, you're hardly ever on this site.  :002:

hindsight57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-10-18 12:10

I switched to KYB on the front and I'm happy. They don't make one for the rear on Ranchero/Wagons so I have Gabriels back there.

I have KYB shocks front and rear on my 57 wagon.  I selected KYB's after reading some old posts here by some who chose them over/after having the Monroes and Gabriels.
So yes, there is also a KYB rear shock for Wagons, Rancheros, SD's... and I think maybe the Retractable might have the same shock(?).
I am having trouble searching the site now, but I had found them on the Rock Auto website. KYB has two different shocks for the 57's, a standard shock for about $20 each, and a gas version for $30-35 each if I remember correctly.
I'll see if I saved the part numbers somewhere... and will post if I do.

Manny

KYBlueOval

The KYB Part number for the Gas Shock is    KG5526   

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the info, Manny.
John.just to clarify, since we know it's a Ranchero your working on, that number you posted is for the Rancheros and wagons, correct?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: hindsight57 on 2019-10-21 02:08
So yes, there is also a KYB rear shock for Wagons, Rancheros, SD's... and I think maybe the Retractable might have the same shock(?).
Manny

Yes they are.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

There will be KYB's in my future..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

I have KYB shocks on both 57's.front and rear.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

SkylinerRon

The rear shocks are the same as 70-up Camaro, should be easy to find.

The quality of Monroe has declined over the years , 50 years ago they were good shocks.

Ron.