News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

shocks

Started by thumper, 2019-10-18 08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper

Finishing up my installation of a booster and dual master cylinder, waiting for the valve and thought while i have it off the floor i would put new shocks on. Just looking for suggestions on brands in today's world, not looking for the cheapest just good ones.
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT
2018 Ford Fusion EcoBoost (Wifes car)

fdlrc

There has been recommendations on this site to use a 56 rear shock for the added travel, which aids in changing the tire. I have standard Monroe brand from Napa, they seem fine.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

geraldchainsaw

when u install new rear shocks,  get the ones that have more travel,  like 5",  when u get a flat with normal shocks the rear wheels don't come off,  at least thats been my experience

hiball3985

I switched to KYB on the front and I'm happy. They don't make one for the rear on Ranchero/Wagons so I have Gabriels back there.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I used the '56 Monroes on the back, and happy with them........although after 30k+ miles, i need to be thinking about replacing them with the same. I've got a part number somewhere, but may take hours to find it
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

lalessi1

I am running Gabriel Highjackers air shocks for a '56 on the back and Bilsteins on the front.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Not sure of the compression  travel, but I do know it's less than the 57 shocks have. That may be an issue for a wagon or Ranchero with a load in the back. Jim Nolan is the one that did the initial research/trial and error on them and reported no problems with his 2 dr htp. Likewise, I have had no issues with them on my Custom.
That could be the pn, Tom...I'll look when I can to see what I got. If it is, Rockauto has them at 17.42 each........that's almost 1/2 of the source you posted.

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-10-18 18:07
Not sure of the compression  travel, but I do know it's less than the 57 shocks have.
That may be an issue for a wagon or Ranchero with a load in the back. Jim Nolan is the one that did the initial research/trial and error on them and reported no problems with his 2 dr htp. Likewise, I have had no issues with them on my Custom.
That could be the pn, Tom...I'll look when I can to see what I got. If it is, Rockauto has them at 17.42 each........that's almost 1/2 of the source you posted.
If you're talking about the ones I posted it doesn't mention compression travel as such & I have no idea what the average installed length would be for most '57s.
Among other things it gives these numbers.
Collapsed Length :  12.25 in. Collapsed Length 
Extended Length :  20.75 in. Extended Length 
Damper Travel :  8.5 in. Damper Travel
Looks like they're the very same ones that Rockauto has.  Part#31125, $17.42 each,  :005:
I didn't spend much time searching, just posted one of the ones that popped up.

RICH MUISE

I found it and the rears I used are the Monroe 31125

rmk57

The oem shocks have a 10.75 compression and 17.25 extension. It seems the 56 shocks may be better for removing larger tires because of the extension but the oem shocks would be better if your going with original 14 tires and careering more weight. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Tom S

Found what looks like the thread JimNolan first made about using '55 Ford rear shocks. Yup, the 31125 Monroe Matic Shocks.
('56 rear shocks would be the same.)
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=2674.msg15175#msg15175

Of course you would have to make some sort of adaptation to the upper mounting to bolt to a Ranchero or wagon.
Haven't yet figured out what 'made in USA' rear shocks are my blue Ranchero but they did let the rearend drop far enough to pull a rear tire with ease without disconnecting them & they did have the type of upper end that bolts right up. Couldn't find a brand name on 'em & I couldn't determine what they were from the numbers I saw on 'em.  Need to take one off for a better look but I moved that Ranchero with it's %$@&!! busted
auto transmission into a guy's storage shop 2 days ago.

RICH MUISE

That brings up a possible issue we haven't discussed in the past that I'm aware of. Is the shock mount in your pic typical of Ranchero's and wagons and sedan deliveries, or has someone modified yours?  I'm surprised Ford went to a different design, but possibly because there was less room for the stud mount on models with flat floors?

gasman826

The wagons, Courier and Ranchero rear shocks are located behind the axle with a much stronger, relocated cross-member.  The Raunch Wagon came from the previous owner with air shocks.   I run these shocks for several years with about 15 lbs of air.  With more horse power, I needed more control at the rear.  I reverse engineered the part number on the air shock to find the application was 2nd Gen F body GM.  The adjustable QA1s do a super job.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-10-19 06:37
That brings up a possible issue we haven't discussed in the past that I'm aware of. Is the shock mount in your pic typical of Ranchero's and wagons and sedan deliveries, or has someone modified yours?  I'm surprised Ford went to a different design, but possibly because there was less room for the stud mount on models with flat floors?
Rich thats how the Ranchero etc mount, they have a crossmember that the passenger cars don't. They were more heavy duty, bigger axle bearings etc and were rated to carry as much weight as a 1/2 ton pickup. This is why I couldn't get KYB shocks for the rear.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang