News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

script,

Started by alvin stadel, 2019-10-21 20:21

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

What kind of coating did ford use on the gold skyliner script. A friend of mine does gold plating on car parts but he could not get the new gold to take, and he tried everything. I'm beginning to think they must of had a special paint, I want to redo mine and not sure what to do. Thanks, Alvin

thomasso

I believe they are andonized.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

RICH MUISE

Anodizing is a process for aluminum, don't know what the script is made from, I thought pot metal unless the skyliner is different. I'd talk to him about what he normally gold plates with as an base. Maybe the scripts could be copper plated first, if the gold would stick to that copper. Just thinking out loud here, I'm sure your friend knows much more about it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Probably Anodizing. Carpenter makes them maybe you could call them.

Ron.

Ecode70D

This may or may not help you, but over 20 -25 years ago I bought a spray can of over the counter stuff and sprayed those strips for my 58 Ford.   It stayed nice, didn't peel and the car was a driver that was always outside.  Maybe the spray cans were better back then.

SkylinerRon

The EPA has taken out all the chemicals that made paint last years ago.

Ron.

RICH MUISE

Maybe look into powder coating?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe