News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater valve cable

Started by Buckaroo, 2020-01-13 13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo

My 57 project has a heater control valve installed in the engine compartment.  Where do I buy a cable to fit it?  The original is way to short. 

thomasso

Unless our car is a custom with a box heater the original valve was mounted on the core under the right side of the dash which would be too short.  Auto suppliers sell universal choke cables or at least used to when there were manual chokes.  There were several valve configurations of water control valves which are all available.  You should get manuals
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Buckaroo

I needed a cable with the "barrel" ends on it to attach to the heater dash control and the actual valve.  The problem was trying to find a cable the correct length  Most catalogs do not list the actual length of the cable.  I finally found one that may be a little long but better than too short.  Plenty of room under the dash to take up the slack.  Cable will arrive Tuesday so then should be good to go.

Russandirene

Buckaroo,
Where did you find the cable?

Buckaroo

I found one at Mac's.  I believe it is about 60" long.   I ran it through an opening by the right firewall/ fender well to the valve.  My right air air vent cable works very hard but can't seem to find one with the knob attached.  Trying to free it up.  Lots of challenges with this car.

Russandirene

Ford Blue blood

Buckaroo, there is a rust dissolver out there that is fantastic.  Non caustic, cleans with water and leaves bare metal.  It will not harm the plastic knob.  I used it to free up the heater control cables on my Edsel.  Then use a Teflon lube (Lowes had it) to lube up the cable.  It comes in a 1/2 pint plastic clear bottle.  The actual lube is settled in the bottom of the bottle.  A little pricy for the size of the container but it is well worth the cost.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Take a look at     controlcables.com      562 949 0455  They might have a cable you can use.