News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

streetrodder magazine

Started by 57chero, 2020-01-23 22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

57chero

Another high dollar 57 build in the Feb. Streetrodder. Don't care for some of the mods they did on it.

KYBlueOval

FYI,.................. In the February issue, there is an article on Jeff Norwell's '32 Pickup. Very nice car Jeff!
BUT, recently I received a letter from a magazine subscription service saying Street Rodder along with a bunch of other magazines are now discontinued. Hang on to that last edition.
I should add, that in November I found a charge on a credit card statement for Street Rodder Magazine, extending my subscription out 2 years. This was done just prior to the announcement they were no longer going to publish Street Rodder. I didn't make the charge or agree to any such extension, and I'm in the dispute phase with the credit card company.  You'll draw your own conclusion about making an unauthorized charge to my credit card( I had used the card in the past for the subscription) for a two year extension, and then promptly discontinuing the magazine.
I post this information, so you can check your subscription to Street Rodder and see if they did the same to you.
John

Update: Visa came through as usual, and gave me the requested credit.  Have others here on the Forum been refunded or credited?

gasman826

Ford Blue blood

I just asked for a refund as I had renewed for three years in October.  Just got an email from them saying my "check is in the mail" and I was welcome to keep the next copy as a "complimentary gift".  We'll see if it comes as promised.

John that is the very reason I write checks for everything!  The exception being purchasing parts on line and gas for the vehicles.  I use it for gas because the card provides an annual breakdown of how it was used and makes tracking gas use over the year easy.  That and I have only ever had two credit cards in my life time.  A Sears card being the first and my current card which is only on it's second account number.

My kids chide me because I don't bank on line, I go in the bank to talk and do business face to face, never use drive through, I want to see who is doing what to my food and look at it before it becomes history.  I wright checks for everything and put a stamp on the envelope (have to support the U.S.P.S. don'tcha know) and drive them to the post office.  Yup, I'm an old bugger and like paper.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I do the same, I right a few checks a month mostly to cover utilities, car insurance etc. No online banking. I use PayPal for most online purchases. Store purchases are all cash. I take my mail to the post office..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

alvin stadel

SkylinerRon

TEN the publishers are killing off  15-20 mags now including Car Craft.  Only Hot Rod, Motor Trend and A 4WD survive. They sent out a letter offering a digital version as a replacement.

They bought up all these mags a few years ago and apparently  they aren't making enough profit.  Street Rodder always had a ton of ads I don't see how it was losing money.

Ron.

Jeff Norwell

Thank you John.

Ugh.... Streetrodder.I have so many friends that work for them,Super Chevy,Classic Trucks, etc, etc,....
Mark my words..HOTROD,Motortrend AND 4 Wheeler will be gone in 24 months.All those Mags were formed under a group called 10.... and they were own by Discovery(yes.. That Discovery).. and in turn, owned by a bigger corp...... and that Corp is own by a Bigger one.

You can say ALL you want and discuss your theories of why, how and whatever why Mags have been flushed.The decision was made by non automotive corporate types.
We have lost a tradition going back to the early 50's.... that's the part that really bothers me.I bet Peterson and Mcmullen are rolling.

Lots of my friends are out of work..... Photographers,designers,writers,.... and have never worked in any other industry...some 30-25 years.
Its very sad....
There was always some kind honour of have your ride in print.... no matter what you were into and
.............. now its gone forever.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

That is a very dark picture you are painting this time Jeff, but unfortunately you might be right. Things are changing a lot, old cars seem to become a menace to the public, and paper mags are outdated with the fb generation. I had been shocked by the exodus of Rod&Custom Magazine, and ever since I am out of monthly published stuff. My only favorite remains with Hop Up and they struggle a lot. Thankfully they are privately owned and hopefully will find their way in whatever publishing rate they can come up in future. for me it is the only mag left I want to buy in print, if only missing the late 50s and 1960s cars.
I understand how many of you guys will miss Street Rodder, but killing Hot Rod Magazine ( if only for the name) would be like burning books again...

rmk57

Every time I go to the supermarket and check out the magazine rack there seems to be just as many car magazines as ever. They seem to be a little more diversified such as a magazine dedicated to just Ford F100's or Rat Rods. Some of them fold but there is always new ones that Iv'e never heard of filling the gap.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Well with Street Rodder...I will not be taking anymore magazines. Hot Rod has never appealed to me much...lousy layouts and seems to focus mostly on bow-tie stuff.
What I will miss the most is the loss of the summer Road Tour with Jerry Dixey. I was planning on doing a whole summer tour with my Courier when it was done.
Not happy about this...in my opinion...there Was Street Rodder...and every one who wished they WERE Street Rodder.  :cussing:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

John Palmer

Everything in the automotive print media is changing, it's not just with the car magazines.

I've gotten the itch for an early Bronco.  More of a street machine, not a high travel off road rig.  I've been lurking and studying the current market.  Looking for a '66 to '75 original truck, to avoid the '76 and later California Emissions hassle.

So...????.I stop by the local Barnes and Nobel book store.  They have always had a large selection of automotive "how to" and coffee table automotive books.   The section was called Transportation and was eight feet wide, and floor to ceiling with hundreds of automotive books.    No more!  They have reduced it to only two shelves, and it no longer even has a section marker, to help you find it.

So...???...I find one book about early Broncos on the small shelf, it's a nice book, but not $42.99 nice!  I leave, drive back home, look it up on Amazon and they want $30.99 and it includes free freight.  I'll have it in two days!  $12 bucks less.

The car hobby is changing big time!

I don't see how a brick and mortar store can sell magazines and books any longer.  I guess the same thing happened to all of our local speed shops being put out of business by Jeg's and Summit?

mustang6984

Everyone seems to be moving to "on-line" papers and books too...or trying to. I HATE reading a screen for books or newspapers. And I have no use for audio books either. Too much distractions going on to focus on the story...plus WAY too much effort to go back and re-read something to help clarify a plot line that is really intricate.

On another note...you can buy a '76 and later Bronco without all the Cal emissions if you find one that was not built in the state, or built for shipping and initial sale to the state. Might take some extra time...but they are out there.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

SkylinerRon

The 3 Hemmings mags seem to be doing ok. Hope we don't lose them.

Ron.

Frankenstein57

My subscription ran out and I was pondering my renewal, seems to me that most of the featured cars had a aftermarket chassis. I understand they had lots of these folks advertising in their mag, but you tend to lose touch with guys like us that prefer to build their own car up. I wasn't seeing as many how to articles as in the past. So I didn't renew, my brother was offered 4 X 4 mag, as a replacement. Mark