News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Del rio

Started by Mike Cypher, 2020-02-11 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cypher

Hello everybody, new to the site and forums in general.  I am located in Minnesota and just bought a ranch wagon.  Inca goldish and semi metallic white.  There was a picture of it in the forum.  An FE block (advertised as a 390) and four speed.  I got it at Unique Specialties and classics in Mankato.  I have resto/moded a couple of 63 galaxies, lost them in a snow caused shed collapse!

Now my first question: Do Del Rios have any special emblems or anyway to identify them besides the data plate?  The ranch wagon I bought is a 59b, a Del Rio I believe, according to the data plate (I was just expecting a plain ranch wagon, but it would be cool if it was a Del Rio).  It has a non stock interior, so that indicates nothing and a single narrow full length stainless stripe with out the gold insert, I thought all Del Rio had the gold insert.   Any other way to tell?

RICH MUISE

Welcom to the forum, Mike. Congrats on you purchase, and sorry to hear about you loss of the 63s.
59 B is a Del Rio, so looks like you lucked out! The gold inserts are frequently deleted with repaints. If memory serves, they only made insert repops for the Fairlanes, and past reads on unsuccessful attempts at reanodizing lead to an easy choice of deletion. The data plate tells it all.........anything else can be changed. A plain Ranch Wagon is 59A
If you go to the top of any page and click on the http// just above the first dark blue line, it will bring you to another 1957 Ford site. It is still under reconstruction, but you will find pics of the various models. Del Rios had the side trim that went all the way to the front....regular Ranch Wagons had the trim stop before reaching the door. Looking at photos, it appears the Del Rio had a Ranch Wagon script on the back fender
We love pics..........and more details of your wagon would be great.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Welcome Mike!
Is it this one ?

There is no such thing as a Del Rio badge. All what Rich said is correct. A Del Rio would have the styletone (Custom 300) double ss trim with gold anodized panels between and the Ranch Wagons were attached to the rear quarter panels ( next to taillights). A base Ranch Wagon would have Ranch wagon scripts affixed to the front fenders and they had different mounting stud pattern and shape due to lower crown on fenders. if you look inside the fenders or pull the inner panels in the back, you should be able to see where the script holes were.
Nice Wagon !

I also have a Del Rio project and and another 4dr Country Sedan (wgn). Guenter.

Mike Cypher

Yes that is the one!  It is easily recognizable in pictures on the web because the roof is painted in a non standard pattern.  The rear section of the roof, inside the groove, is Inca gold and the forward section is white.  I also think the gold is too light in tone.  Judging from the pictures on the web it was located in California until recently.  It is a solid car.  Two small quarter size  holes in the rear foot wells, will patch and weld them.  I don?t like the whitewalls on the car and will remove the lowering blocks as soon as the car gets home and the snow melts.  I have always wanted a 57 ford.  I have great memories of riding to Utah with my grandpa in the sixties in his fairlane 500 four door hardtop.  I helped put supplemental oilers on the rocker shafts of that car and later a Sears and Roebuck short block!

Does anybody from this forum go to the ?back to the fifties? car show at the Minnesota fair grounds??

terry_208

I believe those small holes were filled with rubber plugs. I'd install a couple new plugs and save a lot of welding.  However, I didn't drill holes in the new floors that I installed in my sedan.  That's a nice looking wagon.  Welcome to the forum!
Terry

RICH MUISE

Mike....not sure I f any of the members go on a regular basis, but many have gone at least once. One of the old moderators , Tom Drummond, who doesn't come on here much any more lives near there. Another member from New Zealand was at my house a few years ago on his way back from back to the fifties and staying with Tom while they were there. It's on my probably never happen bucket list. :005:
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Mike,
     Welcome to the site.  Don't be afraid to ask  questions. You will get a lot of help and support here.
      That is a beautiful car.   We like pictures.
Jay

Ford Blue blood

Mike,  Welcome to the site.  Nice car!  Looks well finished.  As said by others the group here is top notch, will help with opinions, facts and prior experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly!

I highly recommend the "Back to the Fifties" show.  The fair grounds are the best I have ever been to.  Access in and out is OK, the grounds are tree covered, nicely laid out and plenty of facilities for the necessities of daily activity.  It is close to many hotels, easy access to several Mom and Pops across the river in WI and the folks there are just as nice and friendly as can be.  Just be careful about Packers and Vikings comments........
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Mike Cypher

Just sent registration in.  Hope to see someone (anyone) from the forum at ?back to the fifties?.  I was reading the forum and came across a post that mentioned 57 fordsforever stickers,  are they still available?   Am tracking down my first part,  a radio bezel.  A previous owner hacked up the dash to put a Kenwood radio in and I would like to replace it with one of the similar to original looking and sized replacement radios and cover the cuts with an original bezel.  Picking up the car tomorrow!  Only to have to put it in storage until spring comes.  The salt is terrible here in Minnesota.  I will take out the lowering blocks while it is locked up.

KYBlueOval

Welcome Mike. This is THE site for information and advice for '57's
I have a radio bezel. Can send you a photo etc. Please send a PM ( Personal Message) if you are interested. If you need help with sending a PM , just ask.
John

Mike Cypher

How do you send a PM.

rmk57

Click on the persons user name on the left, a window should pop up with profile info including sending a personal message.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Mike Cypher on 2020-02-15 06:40
How do you send a PM.
Mike, I sent you a P.M.    Look for the Dark Blue Bar on the left side of the page about 3 inches down from the top of the home page.  That bar starts off with......Home , Help , Search , you'll see Messages........click on it and the message will be displayed.
John

fdlrc

Very nice wagon Mike. I was just looking at Back to the 50s web site. I may make the trek from Colorado to my homeland for that. I'm a little confused about the North vs South registration. Is it the same event at the fair grounds, just two different guest hotels? It be nice to get with the forum members. 
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Mike Cypher

As near as I can tell that is where you pick up your registration packets.  It is not clear how you do that if you are from out of town.  Yes, I would like to meet any members who are there and with all this modern tech I think we can arrange it!

Had to move the wagon from the dealer to storage.  Roads were dry.  I will do a through pressure wash top and bottom to get any salt off.  Car is louder than I thought it would be, which is cool.  Steering is very loose.  1/3 to 1/2 of a turn.  Hoping the spring loaded joint at the pitman arm and all the rest of the joints are big contributors,  they are easy to replace, but I am afraid it is steering box.  The boxes were a nightmare in my galaxies.  Thinking it might be time to go rack and pinion, if I have the same rebuilding/rebuilder trouble I had with the the others.

The car has a lot of rattles on a rough road.  It very much reminds me of my grand dads 57 back in the late sixties, that was a thing I particularly noticed when riding in his car.  The rattles sound like I remember or at least I think I do, grinned the whole time.  It is much smaller feeling than a Galaxie.