News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 RHT

Started by alvin stadel, 2020-03-04 08:20

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

I have a ? for you that have retractables. This has been a complete nut and bolt resto. Every thing works, top package tray and deck lid, just need do make final adjustments. Now this is where the problem is, how much room should there be between the roof and package tray when the roof is in the retract position.  The front roof is setting on the rubber pads and can't go down any farter.  The top on the roof is flush with the top of the body that goes from side to side that holds the seat back and bank of silinoids , and looks like it will be have contact with the package tray, I'v talked with Ron Lippert [aka old gasser] of this forum, he is just finishing up a 58, his is close but not this close, and I am out of ideas to make the roof go deeper into the trunk. 1 inch would really help but don't know how to get it.  Really could use some advise on this.  Thanks, take care, Alvin

terry_208

Can the top be positioned further rearward in the slides?  If so, wouldn't that allow the front to also seat lower?  It's been 50 years since I had one to look at.
Terry

Ford Blue blood

Can you move the limit switch on the lower right (on the trunk floor) any further to the rear?  My book is in the shop, I'll take a look at it later today and get back.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

oldave57

My retractable is still in winter storage so I can't measure the retracted roof height when resting on the pads, but I do understand your concern.  Last summer I replaced all the trunk liner boards and cleaned and detailed the trunk.  I had ordered new foam pads for the forward part of the roof to rest on, but when I looked at how the old pads had seemed to form a "pocket" for the roof, it seemed to me that the new pads might hold the roof up a bit too high and cause some interference with the package tray when the lid closed, so I left the old pads in place, thinking I could always replace them later.  So in your restoration, did you put new pads in place and if so, did you keep the original pads?  Might be worth comparing just to see if the roof would "settle" a bit more with the older pads.  I really don't think you can get the roof to go any lower with an adjustment to the retract limit switch because the pads seem to be the key positioning factor.  Another thing to look at would be the small foam pads that go on the bottom of the package tray and help prevent contact with the roof when the package tray is extended and deck lid closed over the retracted roof.  My car does not have these and I am considering adding these but I have not found a source for them, so might have to just make some using appropriate foam.  The photos I have attached show my car's trunk with the foam pads for the forward roof and the second photo I got from a website photo showing the pads on the bottom of the package tray. 

alvin stadel

Dave, thanks for you response, I installed the new pads in the exact same place as the originals were. I'm like you I can't seem to see any other place for adjustment, do you think I would be opening a can of worms if I move the pads down into the trunk area a little more. That will take them out of the dimpled area but doses that matter as long as the roof is touching it.   Take care, Alvin

oldave57

Hello Alvin,

I don't believe I would move the pads from the original location.  You might check to see if the pads have taken any kind of "set" after
the roof was retracted.  I thought the new pads were pretty "stiff" and that was one of the reasons I didn't install them.  If the new pads compress a bit (maybe after 2 or 3 cycles of the roof retracting) it might help.  I also considered cutting out a bit of a depression in the tops of the pads.  I don't know how much clearance there is between the folded front section of the roof and the floor of the trunk, however, so that would be something to check before doing that.

If your car has the two pads on the bottom side of the package tray, I would be less worried about contact since those pads would kind of help to press the roof down when the trunk lid/package tray is closed, but that's easy for me to say and I know you don't want paint damage on the roof.  I do plan to install those pads when I get my car back home.

Good Luck,
Dave

alvin stadel

Dave, as you know the rubber pads between the package tray and the top are not available, so I made a set. they seem to be fine however I'm thinking of removing them and just lay a flannel sheet between  the roof and package try, and just walk away from it for a few days. Everything has went so well until this, I am head shy as to doing damage to body or paint.  again thanks for your input.  Take care, Alvin

djfordmanjack

I have no experience with Skyliners, but just as a thought. can all those joints and hinge points on a Skyliner wear out ?

I have experienced that often with std convertable frames, when the pins or similar joints are wearing out slightly, geometry becomes offset and binding occurs in the pivot point. I want to think that the Skyliner roof is heavy and the linkage complicated and folding geometry must be very exact.
I am currently working on a 34 rodaster top mechanism and that thing binds with the slightest offset in geometry.

alvin stadel

There are several joints in the lift arms, and all have bushings. There is some movement at these points but we didn't think it is enough to cause a problem.  I will no doubt change these out at  a later time, how ever for now am trying to figure out a way to crush  or remove part of the pads with out causing more problems.  This has been a long project and I can see the end. But there are some days you just have to walk away from it, several times I thought about a little C4 to finish this, and I'm not talking about a transmission.  Take care, Alvin

oldave57

Alvin,

I fully understand your frustration and stepping back to think things over a bit.  There's still plenty of time before the weather gets warm enough to take a top-down cruise, but I think you are on the right track with tweaking the pad height.

I thought I would mention another site for the retractables just FYI.  It is for retractables (57-59) and has a lot of good information.  There is also the IFRC club which I just joined this year (costs $43 for annual membership, but gets you a neat Skyliner magazine for a year (I think 6 issues).

One of the videos that came from that site are the original Nick Keilen Skyliner adjustment/repair videos that are just great (although none of them address the pad height issue). 
Skyliner Operation:
https://vimeo.com/251577363
Skyliner Maintenance:
https://vimeo.com/251578050
Skyliner Repair
https://vimeo.com/251579694
Skyliner Troubleshooting
https://vimeo.com/251580610

The website is www.skyliner.org and the home page has a link for the forums

Good Luck with the Skyliner.  Post some pics when you have a chance.

Dave

alvin stadel

Dave, walking away from my RHT was a good deal, The roof and deck lid ,  I'v stayed busy with front fender assemble and other things. Today thought what the hell and went back to the top. I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but all went well, I couldn't believe it.  After a little work all is working ok, still have a few miner adjustments but for the most part very satisfied.  Who  knows if I live long enough I may get it on the road again, it looks real sharp. Huge is suppose to stop by here on his way back to Washington and pick up some parts, when he does I'll have him take a picture or two and post them. Of all the 57's I'v restored and worked on this has got to be the one I should have left alone.  It has really kicked my  back side, but I can see the end now.  Take care, Alvin

mustang6984

Quote from: alvin stadel on 2020-03-12 20:03
Dave, walking away from my RHT was a good deal, The roof and deck lid ,  I'v stayed busy with front fender assemble and other things. Today thought what the hell and went back to the top. I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but all went well, I couldn't believe it.  After a little work all is working ok, still have a few miner adjustments but for the most part very satisfied.  Who  knows if I live long enough I may get it on the road again, it looks real sharp. Huge is suppose to stop by here on his way back to Washington and pick up some parts, when he does I'll have him take a picture or two and post them. Of all the 57's I'v restored and worked on this has got to be the one I should have left alone.  It has really kicked my  back side, but I can see the end now.  Take care, Alvin

I will be happy to top and shoot your car. Have a new lens I am anxious to put to use. And I've no dounbt you will be living long enough to put more than a few miles on that sweet ride! LOL!!!
I will let you know for sure...but at this time, my departure date is hopefully going to be around the 5th or 6th of April. Need to get going soon...Terry might be needing his parts before long! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

Hugh, I won't need the parts until fall or maybe spring. Things are going extremely slow, just like me. lol
Terry

mustang6984

Okay...but we will meet up before that for sure!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

alvin stadel

The "BLACK CLOUD"  that is hanging over my retractable will just not go away.  We have everything working, and just wanted to run the roof up and down  one more time before I adjust  the windows to the top. Had the top about  a third of the way up and the roof motor went to hell.  To say the least I was kind of pissed and had to have a adult beverage to make it better.   I had Jerry's go though all the motors when I started this project and thought all was ok, but as we all know things happen.  So am boxing up the motor and sending it back to Jerry's again.  I'm starting to think this 57 must have the virus.  Take care, Alvin