News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wheels

Started by thumper, 2020-03-20 17:37

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper

Looking for a nice set of 15 or 16 inch Mags---Tons of them on Facebook at really reasonable prices, need to know what will fit, any of the Mustangs?  Or other Ford models, maybe other makers, god forbid. Don't have the car at home so cannot check the lug pattern  (5 x 5.5)?
Thanks.
Wayne
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT
2018 Ford Fusion EcoBoost (Wifes car)

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

ok.....a few minutes before diner is ready..........There will be more consideration other than bolt pattern. It sounds from your posts like you're looking at newer car Mustang takeoffs? Biggest issue may be the backspacing, aside form the newer cars have big dia's and bandaid tires. To each his own tastes, but my 2 cents is those kinda tires just ain't gonna look right on that very stock looking Fairlane.
We have issues in the back with tire sizes, which is why backspacing becomes so important. With that said, one of our members here, suede 57 has exactly that on his Ranchwagon..........you might try sending him a pm.
Rich

thumper

Thanks Rich, I was not looking for those ugly looking low profile sidewalls, I am looking for a set of 15 or 16 inch Mag wheels maybe 7 inches wide. I think a set of smoothies would look great. I installed a dual system and booster and now want to install disc brakes on the front. Maybe from Wilwood, not sure if I spelled that correctly.
Thanks,
Wayne
P.S.   I recently found a couple of pics of 2 58s I owned, a Fairlane and 300, my ugly self from back in the day in them. Cannot decide to put em up or not.
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT

RICH MUISE

Post em!!! we're mostly old guys here that LOVE the back-in-the-day pics.
Is you new master/booster combo compatible for a disc-drum setup? I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about Wilwood, yes spelled correctly. lol, I erroneously called them Wildwood for years.
Not sure what your looking for. Back in the day  everyone used the term "mags" to mean just about any wheel that was custom and shiny. Real mags are almost impossible to find and are very expensive, I believe only came in spoked or salt flat designs.
It would be best to decide on the specific disc setup you want, because that will more than likely affect which wheels will fit. Definitely not criticizing here, but planning could save some headaches and wasted time/money down the road. The best scenario here would have been to select the brake system first, then acquire a compatible master/booster combo and wheels. Maybe that was done, and it's just not coming across on your posts.
My first car after I got my driver's license was a 58 2 dr hardtop Fairlane.  :001:

mustang6984

HEY! We aren't old. Just well aged! ALL of us are still young in mind and heart!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ford Blue blood

I like to call it "experienced", the mind is still in the 40s and 50s part of life but the body will tell you in a minute that those days are long gone!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

thumper

Sure will, I am reminded just about every day when doing things that require strength, balance and coordination. Ouch !!
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT

mustang6984

Balance? HUH? I've been told all  my life that I am mentally unbalanced!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

I have a problem with my mind writing checks that my body simply cannot cash!
Terry

thumper

Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT

mustang6984

Quote from: terry_208 on 2020-03-21 18:54
I have a problem with my mind writing checks that my body simply cannot cash!

ROTFLMAO! Now THAT...is funny!   :003:

Sorry thumper...I fear we have sidetracked your thread...with factual information not requested by your O/P. OOPs!   :naughty:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

thumper

Not sidetracked at all. The wit that you guys displayed was hilarious and shows no signs of mental decay what so ever, a good laugh is appreciated !!
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT

thumper

Does anyone know if the wheels from a 1992 T-Bird will fit my 57 Fairlane. They are 16 inch factory and really nice.
Wayne Williams
1957 ford Fairlane 500
2013 Ford F150 XLT

Frankenstein57

Not sure what level of build you have, but when I first finished my 58 I put a set of explorer wheels on .Looked good, it handled  much better with those wheels and a nice set of radials than it does with wide tires. Mark