News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Newbie question on fin size differences

Started by JetDoc, 2020-04-27 12:48

Previous topic - Next topic

JetDoc

As I am searching for a backup set of tail light extensions FEG 13448-c, FEG 13449-c for my club sedan, I've seen several S/W and Rancho FEG-13540-c ones appear to have stubbier/shorter fins. Am i correct ? Not having the two to compare. Do they have shorter/stubbier fins or is it optical illusion?

djfordmanjack

You are correct ! the tail light extension housings are different between the Fairlane and the Custom series ( ie Ranchero, S/W.  including all other Custom and Custom 300 Sedans). I believe that the angle of the fins is slightly different also.
I don't know if all Fairlane are the same or if the Skyliner are different. Don't know about the T bird either. I believe you are talking about a Fairlane fixed chrome framed door window glass , when you say Club Sedan.

JetDoc

From what I've heard the Club Sedan (2dr) and Town Sedan (4dr) the T-bird s are the same dimensions with no chrome trim on back of fin. The 500 obviously has chrome trim. And the  S & R wagon ones just look shorter, I don't want to buy ones that don't fit of course.

RICH MUISE

As Gunter said, any passenger car built on the shorter wheelbase Custom platform will have shorter fins. The fastest way to tell is by looking at how the leading edge of the particular car's fin ends. All the Custom platform cars have a straight fin that tapers down  and goes straight ending before the front door. The fairlane based cars have taller, more sculpted fins that curve down as it approaches the front door. Like Gunter, I'm not sure if there are differences within the Fairlane models.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

The fins on all the Fairlanes are the same, the tail light housing is different depending upon the model.  T-Birds are the same as well.  The 500 series has the chrome, Birds do not.  The 300 series are shorter but the angle is the same as the 500 series.  I bought 500 fins and tail light housings to convert my Ranchero to a "2DR HT 500 Ranchero" but chickened out.  I still have the fins and housings.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II