News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-05-06 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Mesta Machine Company...1915..
Correct, Mesta employee machining section of an Engine Crankshaft

"Mesta Machine Company found that built-up shafts were safer for use in machinery than the solidly forged shafts because the shaft and the crank pin were finished separately, making the entire product more reliable. Large shafts used in building engines and rolling mill machinery for iron and steel plants were forged in the company's No. 3 Forge Shop. These parts were transferred to the Shaft Department where heavy boring lathes were used to bore holes through large shafts. During the finishing and assembling stages, the maximum variation of the shaft throughout this process did not exceed 3/1000ths of an inch, plus or minus. The Mesta's Ship Shaft Department was added to the plant near the end of World War I. The department manufactured ship shafts, castings, and other parts used in the shipbuilding industry."[/i]
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

" It's 1967, the USA is on the cusp of the hippie revolution and legendary amp manufacturers Vox (or rather to be entirely accurate VOX) are looking for a new way to promote their wares. We guess they initially considered an amp shaped car but that would be more like a bread van than a rolling advertisement so it seems the next best thing was a guitar shaped car and who better to commission it than the man behind the Batmobile – George Barris.

The car itself was originally designed to star alongside Jack Nicholson in a 1968 counter-culture, acid-themed road movie called Psych-Out in which Jack's character was called Stoney. You get the picture. Unfortunately for VOX all the scenes in which the car featured were left forlornly on the cutting-room floor and the very thing it was designed for it never managed to achieve.

Despite its relative failure to cement a place in movie history it was still well-designed as a rolling promotional advert for VOX with guitar racks, a keyboard, twelve speakers and a working amplifier (of course). For the car fanatics amongst you it had a big old 275 bhp motor from an AC Cobra and by all accounts was capable of 175 mph. Not that we'd fancy hurtling along at 175 mph in a mobile guitar you understand but each to their own.

This particular piece of modern American history recently came up for sale on Ebay and the reserve was an eye-watering $175,000. Whether it was successfully sold or not we don't know but if you're a one-man band who wants to upgrade your act it might be worth a punt."

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

djfordmanjack

VOX, certainly had it going. Especially love their organs. some guys thought no good of them, though... :003:
a little psych, but even 60 years later we don't get what them meant. VOX amps present ( wait until it 'happens'). Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton.

Interesting that a mod band would even think of covering a true Rockabilly song like Train kept'a movin. Imho Johnny Burnette is way above. One of the wildest Roackabilly songs ever recorderd.

CobraJoe

This is what Mount Rushmore was supposed to look like if they hadn't run out of funding in 1941

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

I had no idea. I don't remember seeing anything about the original design at the Mt Rushmore visitors center when I was there in '80ish.

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

CobraJoe

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

RICH MUISE

????? was naptha an early fuel???
Reminds me of something I saw for the first time a few days ago.......a portable electric vehicle charging station being towed by a late model Ford pickup. The "charger" was about the size of a small uhaul trailer. Yes, the pickup was at a gas station filling up, lol.
Got me wondering how they were going to charge for that charging service.......by the mile plus charge time plus amps (?) used???