News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What overdrive would I need

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2020-06-13 11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

BP57CUSTOM

I have a 57 custom 300 with a 312 y block and a 3 speed manual on the tree. The 3 speed supposedly came from a 63 ford and is synchronized. I have a 3.70 rear gear , I would like to change to a fully synchronized 3 speed manual trans. with electric overdrive (for road trips). What part# transmission would I be looking for and what year and body style would it come from? If anyone can supply this info I ,I thank you.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

hiball3985

Just off the top of my head I can't think of any fully synchronized 3 speed that had overdrive.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Late '70s into the early '80s, a few Granada/Monarchs and some pickups were equipped with overdrive top loader 4 speeds.  Third gear was direct with 4th overdrive.  Not a high HP transmission but would be stock Y-block alternative.

hiball3985

I forgot about the top loader. Did they have a narrow bell housing bolt pattern or a wide or did they have both?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I believe the overdrive Toploaders all had the wide bolt pattern, not positive but the ones I have seen did not have narrow pattern as an option.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2020-06-16 08:01
I believe the overdrive Toploaders all had the wide bolt pattern, not positive but the ones I have seen did not have narrow pattern as an option.
Thanks Lynn, I've never seen one out so I had no clue..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

I believe you are talking about the RUG transmission from ca 1980 Ranger 2wd ? Jay (Ecode70D) is als very knowledgable in them.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-06-17 02:36
I believe you are talking about the RUG transmission from ca 1980 Ranger 2wd ? Jay (Ecode70D) is als very knowledgable in them.
I believe Jays Is the RUG 3.03 type, 3 speed all synchro but no OD. Thats what BP57custom has in the car now but wants an OD.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I am a little confused about Ford's tranny designations. Looking at David Kee Toploaders ID charts it looks like the 4 speeds (no overdrive 4th) were designated either HEH- or RUG- with several letters/numbers following those letters to describe the transmission and what car it was in originally. Based on his charts the 3 speed top loaders were either HEE, HEF, HEG, RAC, RAN or RAT variations. Kee calls the later overdrive transmissions 3 speeds with overdrive (imposters) and all were designated RUG-. His web site is the most informative site on top loaders that I have run across. He also states that the "imposter" top loaders all have wide bolt patterns only. I have a thread speed top loader (narrow pattern) that I was going to use until I ran across a 4 speed if any one is interested in it.

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com
Lynn

hiball3985

Thanks Lynn, I wasn't sure about the RUG designation, I always referred to the 3 speed all synchro top loaders as 3.03's. It took me a while to find out why they called them that..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BP57CUSTOM

Thanks All , I may wind up changing the rear gear to a 3.50 or something ,its currently 3.70. But I would rather have an o.d. My current 3 speed is supposed to be from a 1963 ford. Does the 57 bell require a narrow bolt pattern?
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

lalessi1

The stock Y-block is a narrow pattern.
Lynn

BP57CUSTOM

Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

SkylinerRon

You will not notice much difference between a 3.50 and 3.70.  About the same as going to a 1" taller tire.

It is possible to drill and thread your bell housing for the wide pattern.

The "imposter" top loader was also used in pickup trucks and vans.

Only AMC ever sold an all synchro 3 sp w/ OD.

Good luck,

Ron.

djfordmanjack

second that opinion ! I had a 3.25 w a 351 in my 57 Del Rio and it was ok-ish but not reasonable on highway driving. I believe you'd want something closer to 3.0 rearend or rather a ca. 0.7 Overdrive

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2020-06-18 00:24
You will not notice much difference between a 3.50 and 3.70. About the same as going to a 1" taller tire.