News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Voltage regulator/stabilizer for instrument cluster

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-07-15 16:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

Getting all of my electrical stuff connected and wanted to try the gas and temp gauges. They both peg (hot&full) and the voltage regualtor is putting out straight battery voltage. Manual says it should average 5volts. I'm guessing the heating wire is burned out and the contacts are just staying closed.

Question is, are they all the same other than the attachment points and spade connectors? I've found several for different year Fords, but none for a 59.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Hoosier Hurricane

Yes, they are the same electrically.  They have to be grounded in order to work, do you have a ground connection to the case?   John

mustang6984

When mine was running I was having some issues with my V/R. An old guy who worked in the gas station I did took some wire, stripped the ends off and fastened one under the bolt holding the regulator to the fender well, and the other to another screw on the inner fender bolt creating a direct ground. No more problems. Just a thought.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fabulous50s

Mustang: This is on the back of the instrument cluster, you are thinking of the one under the hood for the DC generator.

Hoosier: thank you! I had a brain fart! Of course it needs a ground....I'm headed back to the garage and alligator clip a ground to it and retry! Saved me heartache and suffering!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

mustang6984

You are correct, I was. But...the good news? I WAS thinking! There is hope!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fabulous50s

Lol! Sometimes I think too much and can't get anything done, or other times I don't think and get lots done and it's not right! But thinking is always involved in one way or another

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Fabulous50s on 2020-07-16 12:21
Lol! Sometimes I think too much and can't get anything done, or other times I don't think and get lots done and it's not right! But thinking is always involved in one way or another

That's why I just ponder my belly button.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II