News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE water pump, long and short

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-07-16 21:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

I removed the mechanical fan and have an electric. Can I use a shorter shaft pump and the appropriate pully? There seems to be an excessive offset and only gives me about an inch of clearance to my Alumitech radiator. I used a pusher fan, but if clearance were better (shorter pump) I can put my fan behind the radiator where it will work better.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

gasman826

You could use two smaller fans.  The water pump pulley might fit between.

PIC:  If you look closely, the shroud is trimmed in the middle to clearance the water pump pulley.

lalessi1

There are a variety of "slimline" fans available. Is your fan mounted to the radiator directly or are you using a shroud. I have a "17" " Derale single fan and shroud that is only 3" thick. It may be for sale in the next couple of weeks... I am going to use (2) 12" Spal fans (they are coming in today). To my knowledge there is no short water pump for an FE. You can move the radiator forward in the core support by relocating the mounting brackets, that is what I did because I have a double 8V belt drive system.
Lynn

Fabulous50s

I want to get the short one with a shallow offset pully as long as it makes the belt land I  the same location.

I think after 1962 Ford went with a shorter shaft pump and a shallow pully and used a spacer to bring the fan closer to the radiator.

I have the long shaft pump and deep pully which only gives my 7/8" to the rad.

Plus my pump is noisy, so it's time to change it.

Here is a screenshot of two pumps side by side.

Can anyone confirm my thoughts, if I get the short pump and shallow pully it will all line up? Also what pully size is best, mine is 7.5" now, and I've read than the truck pulleys are smaller and give better cooling at idle.

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

lalessi1

I have never seen a water pump like the long shaft thing. Dimensions might help. I have a new aluminum pump  I don't need now. PM me if your interested. The oldest FE I have ever owned was a '62. Here are some dimensions and a pic or two. The pulley OD 6 1/8", the distance to the outer face of the groove is 5 15/16". The grove width is 5/8". The distance to the face of the pulley on the mounting flange is 7 3/4". the pulley PN is C5AE 8509B
Lynn

lalessi1

Here is another shot of the stock 390/fan/radiator in the car for reference
Lynn

Fabulous50s

I'll get you dimensions when I'm home, I can tell by the pic that yours is different. My 59 has a much deeper offset and there is no spacer between the pully and fan like yours. The fan was simply bolted directly on top of the pully.

dgasman

There are two different pumps . The longer shaft pump is from 1958 thru 1961ish . The shorter shaft is from 1962 to the end of the FE . A pulley from the shorter pump will line up with with your accessories. There are many different pulley sizes to choose from. Yes you can use the newer pump with no problems. I have Had the newer version on my 58 for many years .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Fabulous50s

Thank you gentlemen! This place is the best!