News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Turn signal cancel

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-07-21 18:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

Try as I might I cannot get the turn signal cancel plastic spring. The 59 has two little plastic tangs which are riveted to the turn signal cam. One was broken, and all I can find is the typical Ford C shaped one that all later Ford products use. I bought the C shaped one and modified it and riveted it to my turn signal cam.

Well as luck would have it...its about 1/16" too small and doesnt contact the tang on the steering wheel.

It looks like '58 and older cars used metal tangs with springs. Will these work for a '59?

As a last question, I bought a cheap Ebay adjustable digital flasher to run my LED lights (works great!) But of course it is silent, so I forget to turn the signals off. Anyone have some type of noise maker idea, that would pretty much negate the cancel cam issue.

thanks!
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Ford Blue blood

Look at some of the "back-up" buzzers/beepers.  Installed one for a friend who is very hard of hearing, he was happy, his wife not so much.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Lynn

Fabulous50s

That is the one I bought. I'll get some pictures of the old ones. There are two identical plastic "springs" which were riveted to a steel plate.

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Fabulous50s

These are the plastic springs which were riveted to the turn signal plate.

lalessi1

I have two '59 turn signal switches. Both of them are made with the single nylon piece. I did have an old Edsel switch that had the riveted style.
Lynn

Fabulous50s

Lynn,

Can you take a picture of the '59s you have? I've yet to see another like the one which is in my car. This car was a bit pieced together, but the steering column was the correct color, so I assumed it was indeed for a '59. Unfortunately I didnt take any pictures of it before or after I put the wheel on.

lalessi1

Here are the pics. I bought this one on eBay knowing it needed repair.
Lynn

Fabulous50s

Wow, those look nothing like what is in my column. I wonder if mine is from a different car. Although it is the same color as the car, and the colum shift parts (to make it a manual) were a different color due to not being original.

lalessi1

If I remember right the one that is in my car is the same. It was an NOS Ford part in the box with a B9A part number. Maybe there was a running part redesign...
Lynn

59meteor

I just looked at my spare 59 steering column and signal light switch, mine doesn't appear to have any plastic in the switch.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

Here is a link to one on eBay that is still in the box. The one that I had that came with the Edsel Column I had looked like the "all metal" version if I remember right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-FORD-Edsel-Mercury-Galaxie-Turn-Signal-Switch-Assembly-1959-1960-1961-1962/274400310817?epid=1750999504&hash=item3fe3887621:g:DfEAAOSwQv1e6mHo
Lynn