News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas pedal above or below the carpet

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-08-06 18:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

Got my seatbelts and got all holes drilled and anchor points welded in last night. Now I'm ready to finally put my interior in!

I got a new reproduction gas pedal and upon inspection of the carpet (replaced by the PO) it looks like they slotted the carpet and stuck the pedal up through it. This doesnt seem right. I just want to bolt it in after carpet installation. Does it even matter....I know I'm overthinking this.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

thomasso

I guess you can do what you want but it should be below the carpet.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Fabulous50s

Thank you.

Yes, I tried it above the carpet....and a definate no go.

Its below the carpet and got the linkage all connected up. Works well now.

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

sprink88

I guess I do not understand.  You have the pedal under the carpet? Everything should be above.  I mean everything.  The last thing you want is the pedal to get caught on something then you are going WOT down the road. The attachment point can be below, but I would make sure the hinge part operates free.
~Chris

Ford Blue blood

Chris I think he is talking about the mounting pad with the two screw holes.  It should be under the carpet with the pedal part sticking up through the slot in the heal pad.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

pedal is definitely on the floorboards and slot in carpet slips over it.

Fabulous50s

Yes, I was speaking of the pedal bolting to the floor and then the carpet on top of the mounting. It just seemed strange to have a slot in the carpet for sand etc. to get in from your right shoe.

sprink88

Ok.  Whew.  I hated to go to a far extreme.  But it's amazing what I have seen, and I am sure a few others have out there
~Chris

59meteor

Learn something new every day.All my 50s Fords were either missing the factory rubber floor mat, or it was so badly trashed and missing around the gas pedal, (never had a "fancy" model with actual carpet), and I always assumed that the gas pedal was bolted down above the carpet or mat. You would think having a slit in the mat or carpet would lead to moisture getting trapped underneath , wouldn`t you? I must be very lucky that my 59s floor pans are perfect, even underneath the gas pedal mounting area. Last week I installed a new repro gas pedal, and after chasing the 2 mounting holes with a tap, the pedal screws went in nicely. Amazing for a Canadian car, especially for one that was sold new in Ontario, although , according to the 1976 British Columbia Safety Inspection sticker on the windshield, the car has been here on the West coast for at least the past 44 years. Kinda makes you wonder, on the assembly line, how they were able to install the rubber mat, up the firewall, over the already installed gas pedal, and lay it all down without ripping the rubber mat around the gas pedal. You would think they likely had the steering column and brake/clutch pedal assembly already installed before the mat or carpet, maybe not.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

The area around the pedal is usually the first place the floors rust.

Fabulous50s

This is exactly why it didnt make any sense to me. Seemed completly backward. My floor was in decent shape around the pedal area as well. It was the body mount areas that were all rotted.