News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Dura spark

Started by nitro3847, 2020-08-16 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

nitro3847

Going to put Duraspark system in my 57 the last car I changed over was  a 1963 falcon ran ign wire that went to the + side of coil to the red wire on the module the wire was a factory resistor wire the white wire from the module went to the solenoid , my question is does the 57 have a resistor wire or external resistor before the coil

gasman826

External, stand alone resistor.

lowrider

When I converted my 57 to Duraspark I tossed my external resistor and ran a resistor wire from the ignition switch. Cleaned up the engine compartment wiring a bit.

nitro3847

Thanks guys, is that resistor wire something that can be purchased at any auto parts store

silverbird#58

[quote author -  ive tried  duraspark (tested tough in alaska  )   and jacobs and that red box  bunch . and found , 
                               the duraspark in my 78 bronco Did  FINE . i drove it every day ..   
                             but not in a car that can set for a year or two  .     
                               i went back to a reman dist ,  with Real  Autolite points ,  it does fine.

Ford Blue blood

My 36 has a Dura Spark in it.  Been there since 1983.  All the "stuff" ran out of the bottom years ago.  It has close to 90K on it since installed (used parts) and has not missed a beat.  I did replace the unit after the tire exploded with a new one but the old unit with no "stuff" in it is under the seat in a box just incase.  Given the cost of the box and the pickup module your going to be hard pressed to find a more reliable unit anywhere IMHO.  Just wish they were  a little less ugly.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

59meteor

I also converted my 59 2 door to a Duraspark distributor and "blue" module when I installed the 428 CJ. It fires up right away and runs great, the blue modules have proven very reliable, although I carry a spare just in case. But on several different vehicles over 30 years, I have never had a Duraspark failure on any of them. Years ago I picked up a bunch of original Ford Duraspark distributors & modules at a "all you can carry " sale at a local wrecking yard. I also used another Duraspark FE distributor on my 427 and 428 drag car. Since I also converted my 59 from the stock generator to a Ford 3G alternator, I removed the stock voltage regulator from the generator system,and mounted the ignition module where the regulator had been.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.