News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

5 speed swap

Started by nitro3847, 2020-08-17 16:13

Previous topic - Next topic

nitro3847

I am thinking about 302 w 5 speed conversion in my 57 custom, the car has 292 3 speed standard can anyone give me some information on what you did for clutch linkage and what cross member mods you had to do, any and all help appreciated.

lalessi1

Lynn

59meteor

You could use an aftermarket swap kit for this, but I have seen numerous SB Fords in 57-59 Ford cars that used factory Ford motor mounts. For clutch linkage, I prefer using the stock mechanical style linkage, if your 302 is a pre 74 block, it should have the threaded hole for the inner Z bar pivot, if not, you can either build or buy a bracket that bolts to the bellhousing to work with the pivot ball. I have a Toploader 4 speed in my 59, T5 should use a similar mount layout. I retained the original transmission crossmember, saddle style transmission mount and U shaped strap. The 2 bolt pattern for the early transmission is wider, I just cut a section from the U strap, and welded it back together, to make the bolt pattern match the later transmission, and then grind the sides of the rubber trans mount to fit inside the narrower strap.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.