News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power streering donors

Started by terry_208, 2020-10-01 21:29

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I spent the day in an old wrecking yard and found a 62 Galaxy and a 59 with power steering. Both had the pumps removed but the items underneath are there. Which would make the better donor and exactly what parts should I remove to install ps on my 57?  If I take the parts from the 62 I will also get the steering gear and a column.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Terry

gasman826

From either donor, take the idler arm, center link, pitman arm, cylinder to frame bracket, steering box, column, steering wheel and horn rim/button.  Either system will fit but some parts will not interchange between the two years.  The '59 cylinder attaches to the right side while the '62 attaches to the left side.  The '59 steering shaft is solid from the box to the steering wheel and the '62 uses a rag joint.  The '62 has more parts support.

dgasman

I would use the steering linkage from the 59 and the box and column from the 62 . Just make sure you get the pitman arm from the 59 . Now it you would like a free center link and HD idler arm and frame bracket just pay the shipping I have one I will give you .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

terry_208

Thanks.  That's Basically what I thought, everything that steers the car. Loosen the steering gear from frame and rag joint and drop, pull the outer tie rod ends from their locations, drop the idler arm/bracket, and the cylinder and its bracket.  lastly attack the column and remove complete.

I'm going back to the yard tomorrow to see what I can accomplish.  I'm old and very slow.
Terry

SkylinerRon

I think the 62 centerlink  is longer than the 57-59.

Is the 62 a wagon ?  I need the spindles and brake backing plates from a 60-62 wagon.

Ron.

terry_208

It's a 4 dr sedan. There are 2 other 62's in the yard.  I don't remember seeing a wagon but I did see a 60 Merc sedan. Would that help? Any thing else cross fit? 
Terry

RICH MUISE

jfyi, there have been a few threads going on the Hamb 52-59 Ford social club discussing ELECTRIC power steering from later model cars. If there's any interest, I'll try and find the threads and post a link. I didn't really pay much attention, but I think one of the suggested donors was a Volvo, and it involves cutting the steering column under the dash and patching the system in.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-10-09 08:35
jfyi, there have been a few threads going on the Hamb 52-59 Ford social club discussing ELECTRIC power steering from later model cars. If there's any interest, I'll try and find the threads and post a link. I didn't really pay much attention, but I think one of the suggested donors was a Volvo, and it involves cutting the steering column under the dash and patching the system in.

Yes please. I'd at least like to read what is going on with the "modern" ps.
Terry

Ford Blue blood

Terry take a look at the Borgeson set up as well.  I have three of these for folks and they are a great kit.  It does require steering column mods like most any setup other then stock will.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I would advise a close look at Borgeson as well. The issue with electric or other Ford stuff in my mind is the steering ratio. Our cars are 4.5 turns lock to lock with a stock (or slightly newer) steering box. The Borgeson unit is under 3 turns. That is an enormous change in how the car drives and feels. I love mine...
Lynn

terry_208

I'll have to look at the Borgeson unit again.  I was quoted almost half the cost of the Borgeson just to rebuild the ram and control valve for the 62.  If the control valve isn't rebuildable, a replacement would be the price of the Borgeson unit.
Terry

59meteor

Just wondering if  anybody has used the Borgenson PS box with a FE engine , headers, and mechanical clutch linkage. I currently have a rebuilt factory manual steering box in my 59, along with FPA headers, and factory clutch linkage. It does drive OK but power steering with a considerably faster ratio would be nice. But not if I can not retain my headers (without modifications), or my mechanical clutch linkage. If I could use the Borgenson, setup I would prefer to use a factory 60-70s style Ford PS pump, rather than a GM or other "modern" looking plastic pump.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Have not done one with the FE but the box is just a bit smaller over all then the stock 57 box.  There is a thread about just that some where here.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

brushwolf

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2020-10-04 21:37
I think the 62 centerlink  is longer than the 57-59.

Is the 62 a wagon ?  I need the spindles and brake backing plates from a 60-62 wagon.

Ron.

I believe that is correct.  Later centerlink is longer. I rebuilt a complete PS setup from a 63 Galaxie convertible and put it on my long-stalled 57 convertible project. Everything fit but center link was a tad wide.  Shortly thereafter I got a 58 convertible woods car that had PS, so I removed that and rebuilt it too.  Will just use the 63 setup in a 61 Galaxie convertible project sitting out in the pole building..

Then found that my 57 that came w/o PS from the factory did not have the threaded inserts in passenger side of the frame. Since the 58 was too far gone for anything but parts, I cut the frame section out that contained the threaded inserts, removed them and welded them into the blank holes in the 57 frame. Won't have that issue if your car was factory PS or if you use the 62 parts.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

thomasso

As I recall Threadserts worked just fine for me for the P.S. idler arm.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.