News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Factory Air?

Started by fliptop, 2008-09-27 06:43

Previous topic - Next topic

fliptop

Was factory air conditioning available for the '57 Ford ?? The "damper"/harmonic balancer on my Skyliner has 3 pulleys - the forward one runs the PS pump, the rear runs the generator. The middle one us currently unused. Could this middle pulley have been "reserved" for factory air? OR ??
Have fun!  Tony in TX

smurfee

NEVER LOOK BACK

fliptop

??? ??? Could someone please post a picture of the dash of a '57 with original factory air? I think I remember pronounced A/C vents along the bottom of the windshield OR maybe not? If you post pics please guide me to their location. I'm new here. Thanks!

Tony Colbert in New Braunfels, TX
'57 original Skyliner blue/white driver
'56 original T-bird candy apple red driver
Have fun!  Tony in TX

Marc

Tony, this is the best shot I've got of a factory air car, unfortunately it's not the whole dash, but the vents you remember are visible. There's also a shot of the emblem on the door announcing the factory air installation. If your car doesn't have those vents, it's possible someone just changed the pulley at some point and used whatever they had lying around. I found these pics at conceptcarz.com

fliptop

Thanks Marc! Great picture. That's what I "thought" I remembered in one '57 I saw years ago for sale, but the guy didn't have a title so I didn't buy it. I don't even think it was his car.
Have fun!  Tony in TX

Zapato

so does anyone have a set of those vents lying around? :002:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

fliptop

Zapato, here are 3 possible sources for those A/C vents:

Joe Odehnal  2722 North Westnedge, Kalamazoo, MI 49004   269-342-5509 evenings
email:  joe.odehnal@wmich.edu
and
Lyle G. Hutchens, Rt. 1, Box 2875, Salem, MO 65560   573-729-5061
and
John Tagliaferri, 165 Green Rd., Gloversville, NY  12078  518-725-8907 evenings, 518-229-6958 days

Good Luck!

Tony
Have fun!  Tony in TX

Glen Henderson

I've got a set stashed somewhere, had them for years.

Zapato

Glen, are they available? sent you a private message.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

I may be in error about this but I believe that the air cars had three groove pullys on the crank and the water pump.  The two closest to the engine drove the water pump and the generator.  The lower outer drove the power sreeing pump and the out on the water pump drove the air compressor.  T-Birds with air used this system from 58 through mid 64.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

dave362

Here is a picture of '57 Ford A/C vents that I found on 1957ford.com.

Dave
1957 Fairlane 500 club sedan