News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bitter sweet

Started by alvin stadel, 2020-11-03 19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

Well I'v been saying for a while now that when this 57 retractable is done so am I.  I'v been selling off all my parts for the last 5 1/2 years. As of today all my parts went away. I kept a few small parts like ball joints ect that I will no doubt need.  I sold everything to a guy from ND.  they showed up this morning with 2 pick-ups and trailers, when they left there wasn't much room for anything else.  the only big thing I have left is a very good hood that I sold to Hugh, and he will pick it up on one of his trips by here.  This is the first time since I was 14 that I haven't had a stach of parts.  KInd of a empty feeling but I know it's time. I have 3 57's to sell, but in no hurry to do that. Time seems to be going by rather fast these days and don't want to leave a bunch of what to do with things for my wife and sons.  Take care, Alvin

mustang6984

Wish I had been more flush with greenbacks Alvin...but I understand your reasoning.

I'll be stopping by for a short visit on my way back to WA. Hope to be heading out Sunday or Monday. (unless you tell me the weather is trash) Hope to be done with all this moving garbage before the new year. Have an offer on the house...full offer on the listed price. That was nice...but they don't expect to close before 12-21-2020. So I won't be done until real close to Jan. 1st. That is probably when I'll grab the hood.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Yea...kind of an empty feeling at first but also a little relief to know the stuff went to a collector rather than scrap and a burden to your family.  I've parted with a few things and it is a relief.  I need to do more.  Besides, if I need something, somebody will sell it to me.

CobraJoe

It really does suck, over the past few months i have been doing the same, selling off all of my motors, body parts, transmissions and some equipment so I can get out of my shop and build a smaller one at the house. Kinda funny that you said this, just last night I was working in my shop with a friend on his 57 T-bird and we were discussing how it had taken a lifetime to accumulate all of the stuff I have been selling off, some of it, I'd probably never be able to replace..... bawl
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Alvin, your feelings are easy to understand. But it sounds as if you did the right thing, if you don't need it anymore. better let other collectors and builders have the stuff, than having it scrapped and lost forever
when we collect parts, we also take over a lot of responsibility for them, especially rare parts or collectibles. I am only 47 yo, but have collected my share of responsibilities, and while I am still a long way from retirement, I do think about that a lot. Moving on stuff can be good as well !

59meteor

I recently did a similar "purge", although for somewhat different reasons. I recently moved 4000 miles East, from Vancouver British Columbia Canada, on the Pacific Ocean, to Nova Scotia on the Atlantic. Since I did not want to have to make this trip more than once, plus I am 63 years old, not sure if I have another long term project in my future, I had to thin down a bunch of stuff that I have accumulated over the decades, most of my shop equipment, some sheet metal, but mostly FE stuff. I never thought that I would ever sell my 427 side oiler race engine, or most of my 428 Cobra Jet stuff, but one local guy bought it all. Sold my 331 small block engine from my drag car, but bought a considerably better 347 to replace it. Had to scrap and give away a lot of stuff that I didn`t really want to, but there was only so much room in the truck, trailer, and our shipping pod.In a way it was somewhat liberating, and to be honest, a fair bit was stuff I would likely never use. Still hard to part with our little "treasures".
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

FiveSevenLiter

I won't say "I know how you feel", but I do feel your pain.  After spending weeks cleaning up my buddy Henry's three man caves, on one of the last days I found a magazine his wife gave him.  How to clean, organize and enjoy your shop, he never read it.  I did read it and after some soul searching I decided to sell the signs I had been collecting since the early 80's, as a jobber salesmen then a factory rep for Dayco and Quaker State I had access to basements and attics of auto parts stores and dealerships all over British Columbia.  I woke up more than once trying to decide what to do and when the prospective buyer came over to see what he wanted, he walked into the shop and said he would buy the entire collection.  He asked to see what I had in the house and I said I would show him but the inside stuff was not for sale.  I ended up selling him 5 pieces from inside and 95% of the shop collection, most was NOS.  His offer was more than fair (more than I sold my 1940 coupe for).  A couple days later he asked if I had a good look at the clock I sold him for $1,000.00.  I had looked at it for 30 years and never noticed that underneath the Valvoline logo, it had originally had FORD on it.  He told me that if the Valvoline could be removed it would be a $6,000.00 clock.  I felt sick until he said the Valvoline could not come off.  I now have walls to put up some of the art work (thanks Mr. Norwell) I have been wanted to display.
Keep you chin up, and continue to have FUN with our hobby.
Terry
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

mustang6984

You guy are killing me!!!

NOW...listen carefully. I have TWO (2) Couriers to finish, and both will have FE engines! STOP this selling off and giving away of things like the above stories...until I can recover from my move and stash some cash and take a shot at some of it! PLEASE! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

Alvin.I do understand. and the emptiness that follows.Locally.. there was a gentleman with close to 300 55-56 Fords in various States..... from full blown cars needing restoration, parts cars and fully done cars.Every model and make of those years.80% needed a ton of work.
He passed, his wife and family want NOTHING to do with ANY of the cars and parts.
There is an onsite crusher on the property right now and it is......... heart wrenching.

Gathering parts and cars for future projects is one thing..... but some obsessions get way out of hand..............And your prizes are another persons problems.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com