News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Battery Tenders

Started by oldgasser, 2020-11-21 19:09

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Question on the Battery tender I have on my 57 that is now in storage for the winter months, were I have the 57 stored it is not heated >
Will the Battery tender keep the battery from freezing or would you suggest I remove the battery &  keep it in a warm storage are with the battery tender hooked up?
Thank you for your time.
Old Gasser ( Ron)

mustang6984

I had my Saleen in a non-insulated garage last winter in Port Angeles WA, with a Harbor Freight tender on it. Three feet of snow with the accompanying low 20's and teen temps and it seems to have not been affected adversely. Went in and fired it up after it had sat for 10 months no problem. So I would say it will be fine...unless you get extended sub-zero temps. Even then...constant power flowing...I'd think it would be fine.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fabulous50s

A charged battery will not freeze.

That's why batteries dont freeze in vehicles that are kept outside and used all winter.

I would recommend disconnecting the battery negative cable, that way nothing can catch on fire in your car if any critters find any wires!

Keep the charger connected, but the negative to the car disconnected.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Fabulous50s on 2020-11-22 08:03
A charged battery will not freeze.

Absolutely, several years ago while in WI for Christmas I was able to give my brother-in-law a lesson on synthetic oil.  It was -15, getting ready to leave northern WI (her family) to go to southern WI (my family).  He wondered aloud if my car would start being an AL car.  He had forgotten to plug in his block heater.  So we bundled up and headed out.  My car cranked over like it had just been shut of.  No problem he says, this has never failed me.  So he hits the starter, it caught the fly wheel and made the most awful grunting noises as it turned over so slowly it sounded like the battery was dead.  After that he decided the 10W-30 standard oil had to ge.....point being batteries don't freeze if they are healthy.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

thomasso

True, fully charged batteries won't freeze.  I've lived thru many -50 degree nights with no frozen batteries. But if the vehicle is in dead storage why go to the trouble of a trickle charger and uncertainty of power supply.  Pull the battery.  Our cars don't have a draw as do newer cars with multible computers, they definately need a trickle charger if let sit for any length of time. 
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

oldgasser

Thank you Gentlemen for your input on the Do's and Dont's on the Battery Tenders.
Thank you again.
Cheers Oldgasser ( Ron)