News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957/1974 POINTS - COND IGNITION

Started by KULTULZ, 2020-12-04 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

KULTULZ

QuoteOK, as some of you may know I have had an issue with the 351C not wanting to run.  It started and ran for cam brake-in, started and ran again for another 20 minutes.  Turned it off.  Week latter started it up, idled just fine and shut off on it's own.  Did not restart and hasn't for a couple of months.  Went through the entire engine including pulling the timing cover (those familiar with 351C know what a PITA doing that with the engine in the car!) to verify cam timing. 

All was good.  Ran compression checks, average of 150 between all eight, checked the distributor gear, it was good.  New cap, rotor, and carb, still no fire?  After verifying all was as it should be I was to the point of loosing my mind.  Finally cranked the engine with the coil wire watching the spark.  It was a "hit and miss" spark.  Strong, but not hitting as it should.  Decided to put in a new set of points which were the last thing from my mind because it was a new re-built distributor and HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!  Runs like a top, hits on the first turn and idles down as it should.

MOTORCRAFT POINTS/COND are still available - (AMAZON for one)

They are HENCO IN MECHICO but that has been done for many years. The COND fits only the 59/74 two breaker plate design.

As long as the packaging (comes through with MOTORCRAFT packaging) has a FORD P&A (long) PN, you should be OK.

Everything else - STD and NAPA are off-shore now it seems.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN