News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Parking brake cables

Started by rockinrono, 2020-12-06 09:38

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinrono

Morning!
First time posting here. I have rebuilt the rear brakes in my 9" rear a couple of years back, but at the time did not install the parking brake cables because the rear is in a project car I've been working on for the past 7 years. Well, now is the time to install the cables and I don't have a 57 shop manual, so I was wondering if there are any shortcuts to get access to the parking brake lever so I can install the cables without taking the brake shoes completely apart? Any tricks you guys have up your sleeves would be appreciated.

59meteor

I can`t imagine anyway to connect the cables to the levers without removing the brake shoes. Simple job,if you have the correct tools.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KULTULZ

Quote from: rockinrono on 2020-12-06 09:38

Morning!

First time posting here. I have rebuilt the rear brakes in my 9" rear a couple of years back, but at the time did not install the parking brake cables because the rear is in a project car I've been working on for the past 7 years. Well, now is the time to install the cables and I don't have a 57 shop manual, so I was wondering if there are any shortcuts to get access to the parking brake lever so I can install the cables without taking the brake shoes completely apart? Any tricks you guys have up your sleeves would be appreciated.

Is this a 1957 REAR? Are the brakes 1957? I need to know how you got self adjusters on it ...  :felix:

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

rockinrono

It is a 57 rear end out of a station wagon, but if I remember right, I bought a complete  aftermarket kit for it. I don't remember where I got the kit, but I was surprised that they offered the self adjusters. Looking at your diagram, I can see that my actuator arm for the parking brake cable is different. Mine has a slot in where the leaded cable end goes. I'll start taking it apart and post some additional pictures. Thank you for your reply!

mustang6984

Quote from: 59meteor on 2020-12-06 10:17
I can`t imagine anyway to connect the cables to the levers without removing the brake shoes. Simple job,if you have the correct tools.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                         DITTO
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KULTULZ

QuoteLooking at your diagram, I can see that my actuator arm for the parking brake cable is different. Mine has a slot in where the leaded cable end goes.

Don't let that throw you. FORD used ENGINEERING ILL in their parts book and the Ill may or not be the exact same application. It is done that way to save money and give the parts dude the Basic PN.

THANX! for explaining the self-adjusters
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

rockinrono

I submitted a post with pictures showing the cable hook up. Just needed to remove the front brake shoe to get it done. These cables have a different end where the outer cabe goes into the backing plate, but it worked out fine I think!

mustang6984

Nice and clean install. Which will of course mean trouble free service!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lowrider

Most of the time I find it's easier and faster to just put the part on without looking for a shortcut.

mustang6984

Quote from: lowrider on 2020-12-07 11:24
Most of the time I find it's easier and faster to just put the part on without looking for a shortcut.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                   :003:YEP :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker