Need advise for my 57 country sedan custom steering column conversion

Started by tim bullion, 2020-12-09 13:09

Previous topic - Next topic

tim bullion

57 country sedan wagon: Looking for ideal  tilt column ideas  for auto trans that that utilizes stock shift indicators on dash. All after market columns I've found are column mounted indicators.

abe_lugo

The problem I see is that the original style column has the pointer built into the shaft that turns.
also on the original column the shifter shaft is stacked onto of the main column jacket. forming a taper, that taper suits the change of the column mount area and the housing cover plate for the indicator.

I would  find a standard transmission shift indicator plate, that should delete the plate close.

Then get a tilt-column setup that has the shift indicator on the column top. near the steering wheel. I think some Chevy vans had it that way.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Ford Blue blood

Mid 70s Ford vans had a tilt but no indicator.  Same problem, the shifter tube was inside the column housing.  The housing is 2 1/2" in diameter and would not fit inside the stock 57 dash insert.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

silverbird#58

[quote author=   Is a 1962-68 ford swing away columb too hard for you to work with ?
                           or little TBird teliscopic?

57chero

I used a 75 F-100 non tilt column and modified the column surround.