News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Need bolt on disc brake kit source for Skyliner with PB

Started by fliptop, 2008-10-05 06:44

Previous topic - Next topic

fliptop

I'd like a recommendation from someone who has actually recently installed a "bolt on" front disc brake KIT with dual master cylinder that came with EXCELLENT, EASY TO UNDERSTAND & FOLLOW instructions. I cannot do machine work, weld, etc..

Where did you get it? How does it work? Any difficulties installing the kit? Are the replacement parts available (pads, rotors, dual master cylinder, etc.)?

I want a "turn key" kit that can be installed by a novice (me). I have tools, can follow instructions and don't mind getting greasy doing the labor. I cannot afford to have this work done. It's for my '57 Skyliner with original power (Swift Sure) shoe brakes.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tony in TX (fliptop)
Have fun!  Tony in TX

lotsafords

I used a kit from Drop um and Stop um on my 55 Bird which was very nice utilizing original master cylinder.  Used an ABS kit on my 57 Ranchero with their 7" booster, again a very nice easily installed kit. 
Jack

briney

Tony,

I used the same as Jack and it worked well.  It bolted on and replacement parts are easy to come by. 

Patrick  Dallas / TX   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

fliptop

Thanks Patrick & Jack for your replies. How do I find "Drop Um and Stop Um?" I've gone to Google, entered that text and came up will all kinds of crap - nothing automotive. Is that a company that sells different auto parts like MAC's or is it a specific brand like Raybestos?  OR are you guys yanking my chain?
Have fun!  Tony in TX

57 Ford Kustom

Tony :006:
    Google drop and stop that works.

TOM  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

fliptop

Thanks to Jack, Patrick & Tom I discovered that ?Drop'em n Stop'em ? is very real! Being new to the group, I didin't know what to think about the strange name, but after finally finding & visiting their web site, it makes sense. It appears they do sell bolt on disc brake kits & dual master cylinders.

For those of you who might not know of this company, here's the info:
http://www.dropnstop.com/    D. G. ENTERPRISES  818-572-5302    ?Drop'em n Stop'em ?
Los Angeles,  CA  90041      email: dave@dropnstop.com

They mention Re-Manufactured "HD" Brake Calipers and "HD" Disc Brake Pads and other "HD" parts.   
WHAT IS ?HD??? <don't say High Definition>

If any of you have used a bolt on kit from another company that comes with easy to understand instructions and does not require machine work, welding, etc. please let me know. I'm in the research mode now and will soon need 2 kits. These old shoe brake systems with the newer hard linings just can't stop quickly.

By the way, how do I get a "Smiley" in my signature and in the body of these messages? I've poked around for over an hour & can't get it to work.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!

Tony

Have fun!  Tony in TX

fliptop

Please forgive all the question marks in my message above. Some of my double quote marks translated into question marks. I'll not use double quotes anymore. I wanted to make the term, HD stand out. I also wanted to use the Beating a Dead Horse Icon here but can't figure out how to get it into the body of this posting.     Tony, with lots to learn .......
Have fun!  Tony in TX

wv 57s forever

briney

If you go with drop and stop, I recommend you get the Granada spindles and the ABS power brake booster.  Dick at Drop and Stop sells another kit, but I don't think it is as good.

The only other parts you will need are a proportioning valve and some extra brake line.  If you are not any good a flaring brake line you can purchase some pre-make lengths.  I used a proportioning valve from a 1986 mustang, you can use that or one from Granada or Tornio along with several other ones from that vintage.

Here is a link for a post on the site showing my brake update.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=353.0

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Patrick  Dallas/TX   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

fliptop

Wow, thanks Patrick! You gave me lots to chew on. It will take me awhile to digest it all.

Tony
Have fun!  Tony in TX

KidKourier

Tony,  Here's a couple of more-- (www.mpbrakes) Part # DB1513M  manuel brake kit $695 or DB1513P power brakes $849,(www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com) Part#A152-manuel kit $1,067 or (www.baer.com). I believe DropnStop and MasterPower Brakes sell kits with spindles,rotors,calibers all attached so you only have to undo your upper and lower a-arms at spindles and brake lines and install as a whole unit.Dick at DropnStop is very helpfull and will work with you on parts and questions and get you the best setup and price,but check out other manufacturers as they may have other options,etc. KID Kourier

lotsafords

Try ABS Brakes and Steering.  Great group to work with and they have everything.
Jack
Fresno, CA

57 Ford Kustom

Tony  :006:
   Is this what you wanted ?  :deadhorse:  8) :redeemer: bawl :ttiwwp:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

fliptop

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
:deadhorse:
Tom,

Yup, that's what I wanted. If the dead horse doesn't show up in this post, please help an ol' guy. I double Left clicked on the icon and the text :deadhorse: shows up in the top of this post. I'll send it and see what happens. By the way, how did you manage to get the icon to shop up at the top of your email? So much to learn.

Confused ........  ??  Ya betcha!

Tony
Have fun!  Tony in TX

fliptop

Wow, it worked.  :dumbass:  Double left clicking does it in both instances/places.  :sunny:  I owe you dude! Thanks.

Tony
Have fun!  Tony in TX