News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Clutch linkage

Started by Charter, 2020-12-28 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Charter

I am thinking about a swap auto to TKO and FE390. What would be the best linkage to go into this ? How much, round about for linkage with out pedal would I need to spend ?

lalessi1

I bought the Z-bar, the engine mount, the frame mount, and the associated rods on eBay for around $75. They come and go at various prices. There are no reproduced ones. I am using a hydraulic actuated setup, it can be done for under $300 if you use a slave cylinder. $500 to $600 if you use a hydraulic throwout bearing. If you decide to do the swap and go the hydraulic way I can help with the design... mechanical, I can help there as well.
Lynn

59meteor

Not familiar with this swap, but if at all possible, I like using the factory mechanical clutch linkage. When I decided to convert my 59 from the original 332FE and 2 speed automatic, to a 428 CJ and Toploader 4 speed, I bought a rotted and partially stripped out 59 2 door sedan with a 6 cylinder & 3 speed manual, and used all the clutch pedal hardware and most of the linkage, then found the rest of the bits online. Works great, and no cables to melt on the headers or exhaust, and no fluid to leak or get the air bubbles out of..
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

brushwolf

Been a while, but I put a 430 Merc engine in a 57 Ford convertible (used an FE bellhousing) and the clutch linkage bolted right up. Of course I did not have headers so that is one potential complication you may have as tubes may get in the way.

On another 68 Torino convertible that had a swapped-in Cleveland with headers I had to modify the clutch linkage a bit to clear  between the tubes when I took out the C6, but it has worked fine since.

My understanding is that the TKO uses a TKO bellhousing as well, so does that have an engine side clutch pivot mount provision on it?  If not, you can still fabricate one and attach it with a couple longer bellhousing bolts. That is what I am doing with a 351 swap currently using a later Ford bellhousing that has no clutch pivot provision on it. Now will that clear your tubes as well?

That said, if I was doing your transmission swap, I would probably just go with hydraulic clutch linkage attached to the original pedal. A little more money, but nicer clutch action and you won't be likely to have any trouble clearing the tubes.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

lalessi1

The FE engine side mount bolts to the block, not the bellhousing.
Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2020-12-30 16:16
The FE engine side mount bolts to the block, not the bellhousing.
although that is correct on many models, at on 65 & 66 full sized Fords and Mercury cars did have the Z bar pivot on the bellhousing, rather than a bracket that bolted to the block.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.