News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

LED's... who all are using them or contemplating them?

Started by brushwolf, 2021-01-10 06:48

Previous topic - Next topic

brushwolf

I was curious as to whether LED headlights that look somewhat like factory headlights are available now and if anyone has installed them?  I am not a big fan of Halogens because they draw so many amps and need relays to prevent wiring or switch degradation. LED's for any application allegedly use 20% or less than the factory bulbs and are said to be longer-lived as well as  brighter.

Searched prior threads and don't see anything on LED headlights, but apparently some are using small LED bulbs for turn signal indicator lights and tail lights.

If you are using or contemplating installing LED's for any purpose in 57's, please elaborate on what specifically are you using them for, did you have to install any different bulb sockets, and what are some sources?

Thanks, Mike

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

hiball3985

I'm using the headlights for early Mustangs from Scott Drake Mustang Parts. They look very similar to originals and have Ford script. They draw less amps then originals, no wiring or relays needed. I have them in for about 7 years with no problems.
I only have LED in the tail/brake lights. If you do all four you need a different turn signal flasher made for that.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-headlight-halogen-fomoco-mustang-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HL4/
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

I changed all mini bulbs to LED except the OIL and GEN bulbs.  I changed to a LED friendly turn signal flasher.  I changed the headlights to XENON kit that included glass, 7" lens that have DOT on them.  I also added a relay kit.  The relay kit is plug and play and just makes sense to reduce load on old wire and switch.  The is a nice upgrade that brightens visibility of all lights.  The headlights are now a white light which is more like modern vehicles.  Moving from vehicle to vehicle is not as much of a shock.  I'm installing the same headlights in the Custom right now.

RICH MUISE

Just my 2 cents on the halogens...........when I got my 57 project car it had the halogens already installed. I had no clue, just drove it for a year or so with the old wiring. Had no known issues. When I did the rebuild on my car, including high quality Ron Francis wiring, I bought new halogens thinking if I had no problem with the old wiring, I shouldn't have any with the new, and after4+ years, and a lot of night driving, I haven't had any issues. I have the lowest of 3 wattages, which I found at Walmart. The auto parts stores sell the middle and high wattage bulbs. That was what I found out 5 years ago., things may have changed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

brushwolf

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-01-10 07:30
I'm using the headlights for early Mustangs from Scott Drake Mustang Parts. They look very similar to originals and have Ford script. They draw less amps then originals, no wiring or relays needed. I have them in for about 7 years with no problems.
I only have LED in the tail/brake lights. If you do all four you need a different turn signal flasher made for that.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-headlight-halogen-fomoco-mustang-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HL4/

Thanks for the info..  Did you replace your wiring too, or is it mostly original?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Quote from: gasman826 on 2021-01-10 08:23
I changed all mini bulbs to LED except the OIL and GEN bulbs.  I changed to a LED friendly turn signal flasher.  I changed the headlights to XENON kit that included glass, 7" lens that have DOT on them.  I also added a relay kit.  The relay kit is plug and play and just makes sense to reduce load on old wire and switch.  The is a nice upgrade that brightens visibility of all lights.  The headlights are now a white light which is more like modern vehicles.  Moving from vehicle to vehicle is not as much of a shock.  I'm installing the same headlights in the Custom right now.

Are your dash lights the same color as the original only brighter?   

Yes, I have a 55 Crown that I drove at night for the first time back from a car show last year.  It was a noticeable difference with regular 12 volt headlights compared to my newer pickup. Wondered for a bit if I had charging problem, but no... Wiring in it is not that great though.  12 volt conversion done by a PO, so idk what he did exactly. Guy I bought it from in Florida listed it with a 351W, but when the car was delivered I found it was a 351C, which was fine by me..
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

gasman826

I used green LEDs and yes they are much brighter.  I could see the time.

Ford Blue blood

All my dash lights are LED.  I wanted a blue color, LEDs provided that.  My turn and high beam indicators are LED also.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: brushwolf on 2021-01-10 12:56
Thanks for the info..  Did you replace your wiring too, or is it mostly original?
Wiring/headlight switch are all original.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang