News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Looking to buy a lift for the shop.

Started by 59meteor, 2021-01-12 11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Oh it is...overall I think I have mellowed in my retirement years. My wife says so as well. Something about not having to deal with society's lower life forms on a daily basis probably had a lot to do with it. But this move and it's never ending curve balls and dealing with some rude people...has brought out the desire at times to just rip someone a new one. I just want to get home and be left alone. And I still need to drive out here one more time and retrieve my boat. But that will be an overnighter.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

SkylinerRon

I've been looking at lifts for a while. Kind of like Backyard Buddy the best. It has a lot of accessory pieces available for speciality jobs.

And it is Made in USA.   They usually have one set up at Carlisle. Now that you are on the east coast you can go to Carlisle & Hershey and save the freight charges.

Let us know what you decide.

Good luck,

Ron.

59meteor

I would really like to finally get to some big East Coast events like Hershey and Carlisle, but at this point, the Borders are still a no go. Hopefully that changes sometime soon.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

When I get done with mine I would like t do those as well. We may all get to do a display of '57's together!  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

SkylinerRon

2022 is the 65th birthday for 57's. Carlisle has meet themes all the time, probably already planning something.

Ron.

59meteor

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2021-01-24 01:00
2022 is the 65th birthday for 57's. Carlisle has meet themes all the time, probably already planning something.

Ron.
I would be interested in attending that, My Ford (Meteor actually) is a 1959, but I am a 57 model! :003:
:003:
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

I'd like to do that as well...we need to keep that thought alive...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

akusler763

I have a 2 post Challenger 10K model that I bought used (2004 model?) for $1700, plus about $300 in install needs (power, anchors, etc.). Mine is an overhead model because I have 13' ceilings, but it is a well built piece of equipment. I thought they were made in the USA, but not sure. Often you can find used ones getting pulled out of shops by online auction companies, or by those who sell new ones, depending on where you are located.  Having the lift at home is  game changer.
1957 Fairlane 500 2-door Sedan w 390FE/C6
2001 Mustang GT Convertible
2016 F-150
1968 Thunderbird w 429/C6

59meteor

I had been watching craigslist and facebook market place for several weeks, and after finding only a few well used hoists from shops that were upgrading to new hoists, yet want 75% of what a new lift costs, I ordered a new 9000 pound Atlas 2 post last Friday. It has to be delivered by truck from Ontario, hoping it will arrive later this week. Then I will look it over, and the instructions, and see if the installation is something I fell comfortable attempting myself.

SkylinerRon

Rory, you will need a few strong backs to move/set-up all that iron.

Goodluck,

Ron.

gasman826

I've moved and set mine up twice plus helped others set theirs up.  The heaviest work will be getting it off the truck.  They are shipped in one crate so very heavy.  When mine was first delivered, I owned a backhoe.  The backhoe was gone for the second move.  Once off the truck, I installed by myself.  Help is always welcomed but not necessary.  A good cherry picker with 3-4' fabric rigging strap and concrete drill are necessary but the other tools are common.  Assemble one of the towers flat on the floor.  Attach the cherry picker to the tower about midway with a choker rigging strap (chain or cable will work but will damage the paint finish).  Use a balance point with about 52-55% of the weight toward the base.  Raise the cherry picker and the tower will stand right up.  Drill all the way through the concrete and drive in the anchors.  Repeat on the second tower.

Frankenstein57

I too am getting tired of crawling under cars, I would have invested in a lift awhile ago but my shop is in the lower level of a barn. I either need to re-engineer a portion of the 2nd floor, or think about an addition.