has anyone switched their 1957 ford Wagon Lift supports to modern gas struts? I

Started by tim bullion, 2021-01-26 14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

tim bullion

has anyone switched their 1957 ford Wagon Lift supports to modern gas  struts? If so, what manufacture did you use, how well do they work,  and how difficult was the installation process?

RICH MUISE

Not me, I don't have a wagon, but I did change out my hood supports to hydraulic, and I love the mod. Check out McMaster Carr, they have tons of lifts available...different lengths, lift pressures, end types, etc etc. They also have a large assortment of fittings.
Be sure to keep us updated if you do it....pics and a how-to would be great.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ken 57Wagon

Yes, Keep us posted on what you discover.  I'd like to see a picture Rich of how you did your suports.

suede57ford

I recently converted my '57 RanchWagon Lift Gate Support to '58 Ford Wagon Lift Gate Supports.   The '58 style has a ratchet wheel inside that holds the lift gate fully open, then lift slightly one more time and it releases and closes nice.      I actually only installed one side(use the other one on another '57 wagon) as that is plenty.  You need the '58 bolts and washers to do the install as the shoulder is a different diameter from '57.    Easy upgrade and no more having to turn the knurled knobs that were a hassle to twist while holding the liftgate.

I got the tip from IAMFLASHMAN from seeing the ones on his '58 Bermuda Wagon.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Ken 57Wagon on 2021-01-27 16:14
Yes, Keep us posted on what you discover.  I'd like to see a picture Rich of how you did your supports.
Here's a link to that lift install.  http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=4641.0#msg34101 This was a separate thread that 3 of us chimed in on, so you'll see different ideas as you read thru the pages.
Because the bottom of the lift is hard to get to when the car is all assembled, I got a little more elaborate with mine (what else is new?) in that I mounted them in a square tube, and only bolted that tube at the top.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe