News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

motor oil out of carpet?

Started by 3ontheTree, 2021-01-27 08:41

Previous topic - Next topic

3ontheTree

Does anyone have any tried and true ways of getting motor oil out of carpet mats?  We recently bought a 57.  I had noticed the mat on the driver side looked dirty, but didn't think much of it.  Now that we've had it and have driven it a couple times, we figured out the after market oil pressure gauge under the dash is leaking and what I thought was just dirt is really motor oil.  The mat is red with the old Ford crest embroidered on it.  I was thinking about trying Dawn dish soap since it was what worked on the jeans we were wearing when we drove it...lol.  I'm not sure regular carpet cleaner will do the trick.
Thoughts?

hiball3985

Dish soap is usually a safe method, it works well on oil soaked birds  :003: I use it all the time.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

When I saw the heading of this post, my first thought was, "my wife won't let me bring a motor into the house". Perspective is everything!

I too would try dish soap.  If it is one of those little throw type mats, I'd lay it out and use waterless hand cleaner on it then dish soap and finally hose it all out. Then again, I screw up a lot. 
Terry

lalessi1

I used Dawn on two baby wrens that got into a drain pan with 4speed gear oil. It worked on them.
Lynn

hiball3985

You wouldn't believe the things that have gone through the washer and oven when the wife wasn't home  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I cleaned carpets with Simple Green
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

FiveSevenLiter

Simple Green gets my vote. 
They used it on the beaches when the Exxon Valdez spewed oil on the Alaska shoreline.
T
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

John Palmer

My go to is Awesome Cleaner.  It's a citrus based concentrated cleaner just like Simple Green.  It's sold at the 99 cent store.  I buy it in gallons, and have three spray bottles mixed with different concentrations (by the shade of the yellow color).  I spray that stuff on everything, wash it off, it works.  It's cheap!

John

mustang6984

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-01-27 17:11
You wouldn't believe the things that have gone through the washer and oven when the wife wasn't home  :003:

SSSSSssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Quote from: John Palmer on 2021-01-27 22:22
My go to is Awesome Cleaner.  It's a citrus based concentrated cleaner just like Simple Green.  It's sold at the 99 cent store.  I buy it in gallons, and have three spray bottles mixed with different concentrations (by the shade of the yellow color).  I spray that stuff on everything, wash it off, it works.  It's cheap!

John

I used probably a 50 gallon drum of that stuff when I bought my apartment building in Branson area. It is some crazy good stuff! Dollar General has it too.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Yes, that "LA`s Awesome" cleaner is great stuff. I just used it to clean up 60 years of crud from the inside and outside of my 59s heater box. I know they recommend diluting it, but since I had a full bottle, I just used it at 100%. I have not tried it on oil soaked fabric yet, anybody try it on stains from clothing?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Have used Dawn for oil on the living room carpet ( slight spill while assembling a Boss 302 ) and had excellent results.  Used it to clean blood off a perfect set of seats out of a late model Mustang for the 66 Ranchero. Took several washy, washy, rinsey, rinsey runs but they came clean.

House hold appliances do a nice job on lots of stuff!  The dish washer will clean a disassembled carburetor perfect.  It looks like it is almost brand new, just don't leave the parts in there very long.  A bath tub is the perfect place to wash out an engine block after de-burring, yup, same Boss engine.  Last but not least make sure you can open the house and ventilate it well after using the oven to back-in exhaust manifolds after applying ceramic paint.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KULTULZ

QuoteWhen I saw the heading of this post, my first thought was, "my wife won't let me bring a motor into the house". Perspective is everything!

When I was young ...  bawl

I came in from work one afternoon and my younger brother had a complete 428PI sitting on a stand in the bedroom. This was a hi-rise apt building.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

John Palmer

When I was young..................I could still get up off of the creeper.

Maybe it was because in the old days we just dropped the T-10's, and Top Loaders on our stomach's while laying on a creeper.

John

hiball3985

Quote from: John Palmer on 2021-01-29 13:16
When I was young..................I could still get up off of the creeper.

Maybe it was because in the old days we just dropped the T-10's, and Top Loaders on our stomach's while laying on a creeper.

John
I remember those days. A few years ago I tried to put in the T85, guess how that went  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang