News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lower control arm

Started by Steveosallin88, 2021-02-02 01:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveosallin88

57 fairlane
Lower control arm in between the spring cup and the ball joint there is an extra piece of metal that wraps from side to side. Looks like some kind of brace maybe. Anyone know what this is there for? Looks like an after thought, can?t figure out why it is there. Thanks

lalessi1

I left mine off... I think it might be a reinforcement for where a different sway bar design mounts?, ( If I remember. ) Probably not a good idea to leave a part like that off, but I couldn't see what is was supposed to do either.
Lynn

hiball3985

Are we talking about the sort of flat U shaped piece? If so I think that was just there as a tie down point for shipping the car.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I think the "flat u-shaped piece" is an added stiffener where the bumper stop bolts on to, and some of the aftermarket sway bars, like the T-BirdsSouthwest', use the hole in front of that stiffener. I honestly can't remember where the stock sway bar mounts to.
Welcome to the forum, btw, Steve. The guys would like to see some pics of that project you have. Am I remembering a Ranchero, or is that another new member?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-02-02 08:55
I think the "flat u-shaped piece" is an added stiffener where the bumper stop bolts on to, and some of the aftermarket sway bars, like the T-BirdsSouthwest', use the hole in front of that stiffener. I honestly can't remember where the stock sway bar mounts to.
Welcome to the forum, btw, Steve. The guys would like to see some pics of that project you have. Am I remembering a Ranchero, or is that another new member?
You are correct Rich if we are talking about this piece.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Steveosallin88

Great info.  Thanks guys. 
Project is a 57 fairlane 500. Been in the family since 57. The two fours are not original to the car but have  been on since 57. Story goes the car was a demo ride for a salesman and they stayed after hours and snuck them on.  When we removed the intake the valley pan had been beat with a hammer like it owed somebody money and confirmed a rush job.
Current state of the project is rebuilding all the front end parts and doing spray bed liner for undercoating. May do a build thread some day have tons of pics and stories about the car
Thanks again for the info.

Ford Blue blood

My 58 Edsel does not have that "U" shaped part.  I installed a 58 Edsel Ranger/Pacer front bar on my Ranchero.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Steveosallin88 on 2021-02-02 11:40
Great info.  Thanks guys. 
Project is a 57 fairlane 500. Been in the family since 57. The two fours are not original to the car but have  been on since 57. Story goes the car was a demo ride for a salesman and they stayed after hours and snuck them on.  When we removed the intake the valley pan had been beat with a hammer like it owed somebody money and confirmed a rush job.
Current state of the project is rebuilding all the front end parts and doing spray bed liner for undercoating. May do a build thread some day have tons of pics and stories about the car
Thanks again for the info.
The 2 4V manifold used a different valley cover to clear the bottom of the manifold, hard to find and expensive today.. They cheated by using a hammer on the standard valley cover.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Steveosallin88

Found out the hard way on the different valley pan after paint of course. Couldn?t find one either. Did find a small bread pan The right size lol. Cut the bottom out of it and worked it in. Didn?t get all the Teflon out of the corners the first go round luckily it popped when it was primed so didn?t have to repaint again.

hiball3985

That will work, looks good.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Everything looks great..you're taking the time and effort to do it right. We appreciate the pics, and I'm sure the lack of response (like from me as well) is due to it being buried in a suspension post. It'll get more attention, comments, questions, etc if you post something in the build threads, or member's rides, etc.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Lynn