News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Larger wheels on 57 Fairlane 500

Started by bivenspack, 2021-03-01 15:40

Previous topic - Next topic

bivenspack

Wheel and tire selection have always been a challenge.  I've seen lots of comments and threads in various places about what will and will not fit under our cars with no or minimal modification.  Here are two pictures of my father's 57 Ford Fairlane 500 4dr.  One has 17 inch wheels from a Ford Expedition (I think, might be an Explorer) with 245/45/17 on it.  We did use 1.5 inch spacers/adapters in the rear and 1.25 inch spacer/adaptors in the front.  Stock Ford wheels we found in the junkyard that we though would look good.  The car is at stock height with spindle/disks up front from 70's Torino.  The second picture is with 18 inch on the front and 20 inch on the back.  These wheels are mine and will be going on my 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 2dr hardtop (in progress).  Same set up as the 17 inch wheel/tire combo only we removed the spacer/adapter from the rear.  Just mocked up (not driven) but will need longer wheel studs in the rear and maybe a 1/4 spacer to move it closer to the fender lip (not necessary as there is plenty clearance on front and back with no fear of rubbing.  In the front, we'll probably drop to a 3/4 inch spacer adapter or 1 inch spacer/adaptor to pull it in the front fender well just a bit more.  These are Boss 338 wheels.