News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Small block with a T-10

Started by Ottoparts, 2021-03-01 18:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2021-03-08 01:52
Ford was still using some T-10's in Mustangs.

Ron.

My '69 Mustang came with a T-10 behind a 351W.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ottoparts

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2021-03-08 01:52
Ford was still using some T-10's in Mustangs.

The pics show the longer pilot bearing nose which the small block will need.

You will need a long output housing with the shifter at the very front of the output housing.

I went thru the same problems with a 61 Ford, the mustang trans mount, shifter location and overall length were wrong.
You will need a Galaxie shaft and housing to make everything work.

Good luck,

Ron.

Ron can you elaborate a little more on the tail shaft length? What doesn't work using the Mustang tailshaft?

Thanks

KULTULZ

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2021-03-08 01:56

My '69 Mustang came with a T-10 behind a 351W.

Did you buy the car new or used?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

mustang6984

I bought it used...from the 2nd owner who told me it was all stock. no reason to doubt him. Are you suspicious? I haven't noticed any modifications anywhere...and I have now torn that baby down to a nekkid shell.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KULTULZ

It is unusual to me as far as I know, FORD stopped the BW install in the 65/66 model year. Mainly they were waiting for the F/4/S production to catch up.

I don't have access to my 1965/72 MPC now so I can't verify one way other other.

But I will keep this in mind (hopefully) and check it out when I get all my computer stuff back.

No disrespect intended.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

mustang6984

None taken. I have a top loader that I had put in my '57 that I am working on now. (or was until I decided to wander 2100 miles across the country.) I am going with a 428/heavily modified-upgrade C-6, so I COULD put that T/L in the '69 when it is ready if you find that was what was supposed to be in there.
Let me know what you find out. I am really a T/L fan anyhow.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Like Kultulz said, I don`t think Ford put T10s in any cars after 65 or 66. Somebody likely wanted the Toploader from the 69, and stuck a T10 in it`s place.GM, Ford and Chrysler all used T10s until about 64, when they all developed their own 4 speeds, due to the inadequate strength of the T10.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Possible I suppose. History of the car as it was told to me, and as I later fund out when I tore it down:
The car was originally a Montana car acquired by the guy I got it from when he was living u there. When he moved to Olympia
WA area he brought it with him. At some point it was involved in a accident and he "body-worked" it and then painted it. Not sure if the accident was in MO or WA. I am however sure that he was NO body man. When we started to tear it down, we discovered well in excess of 3/4 of an inch of Bondo in the left rear 1/4 panel...covering most of the panel. He was good at shaping Bondo though! The paint had also begun to disappear on my trip from Olympia to San Antonio 3 months after I bought it...not a happy camper, but by that time he was gone...no longer working where I had met him or living where I had picked up the car from.
So...either he lied to me about the components being all original...or possibly he bought it with the T-10 from the original owner who did as you said. If it is supposed to have the T/L...then I'll stick the one I have into it...not that is going to be a Gold Class restoration, but I have one, so why not use it right? Or...I could save it...and put the T/L into the white '57 Courier...which was my race car... :003: That is where the T/L came from...when I got tired of popping T-85's in the brown Courier.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

I know my memory from that time period is getting shaky but the best I remember the new 66 Mustang my girl friend bought had a top loader.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

RE; Toploader problems.

The Mustang trans puts the shifter mount and trans mount in the wrong places for ALL full size bodies from 1949 up.

The Mustang rubber mount won't work, the speedo cable is on the wrong side and the shifter would be under the front seat.

Your driveshaft will be too short and the splines on the yoke are probably wrong.

All 64 up Galaxie output shafts and tailhousings make every thing fit. Also some late Torino parts will work but, I haven't used one myself.

Sadly most of the used 4sp's out there are from Mustangs and the chassis layout is completely different making swaps difficult.

BTW; 65 & 66 were the only years both trans were used, probably because Ford sold more 4sp Mustangs than they planned for.

Good luck,

Ron.

59meteor

I have seen some toploader tailhousing that have bosses for both shifter positions in the casting. The Toploader in my 59, according to the Dave Kee website, was originally from 1 66 Fairlane 289, but the guy I bought it from, had it in a 65 Mustang K code. It has both sets of mounting holes drilled and tapped, and the forward Fairlane position, clears my stock bench seat just fine, unless I needed to move the seat all the way forward.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ottoparts

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2021-03-10 01:57
RE; Toploader problems.

The Mustang trans puts the shifter mount and trans mount in the wrong places for ALL full size bodies from 1949 up.

The Mustang rubber mount won't work, the speedo cable is on the wrong side and the shifter would be under the front seat.

Your driveshaft will be too short and the splines on the yoke are probably wrong.

All 64 up Galaxie output shafts and tailhousings make every thing fit. Also some late Torino parts will work but, I haven't used one myself.

Sadly most of the used 4sp's out there are from Mustangs and the chassis layout is completely different making swaps difficult.

BTW; 65 & 66 were the only years both trans were used, probably because Ford sold more 4sp Mustangs than they planned for.

Good luck,

Ron.

Thank you Ron.  He also has a super t10 that he believes was out of a bbf car. I need to go back out and take pictures of the numbers on it and see what it is. It does have the notch in the tail housing. If that's the better of the two options, maybe I can change his mind om which on to sell.
Thank you for knowledge.

Ottoparts

I am going to be using bucket seats. With that said, would the shifter position be that big of deal?

SkylinerRon

The total of problems to overcome makes using the Galaxie parts the way to go.

The Galaxie T-10 will be the long tailhousing like the 57 up 3sp and fit like like a glove.

I haven't dealt much with Fairlane/Torino boxes. Once converted a 70 429 box to 65 Mustang. Rebuilt a lot of Mustang boxes though.

The T-10's used by GM, Ford, AMC and Mopar are all different in spline counts and length, Bellhousing bolt patterns, Bearing retainer diameter,
tailhousing length, shifter mounting and gear ratios (tooth counts).

It is possible to mix and match only if you can identify everything.

Good luck,

Ron.

Ottoparts

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2021-03-15 22:29
The total of problems to overcome makes using the Galaxie parts the way to go.

The Galaxie T-10 will be the long tailhousing like the 57 up 3sp and fit like like a glove.

I haven't dealt much with Fairlane/Torino boxes. Once converted a 70 429 box to 65 Mustang. Rebuilt a lot of Mustang boxes though.

The T-10's used by GM, Ford, AMC and Mopar are all different in spline counts and length, Bellhousing bolt patterns, Bearing retainer diameter,
tailhousing length, shifter mounting and gear ratios (tooth counts).

It is possible to mix and match only if you can identify everything.

Good luck,

Ron.

Thank you Ron for your help and knowledge.