News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Transmission Swap Help

Started by Lin, 2021-03-10 18:49

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Not an expert, but I believe all AODs are non-electronic. That's where the AODE came in, then the 4R70W. The 4R70W is what's in my car behind a 4.6.......no tunnel mods. Just thinking out loud here, but maybe tranny's that require an adapter possibly are the instances that require tunnel mods because of adapter thickness?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

brushwolf

Yes, I think you are right about the designation of AOD being all the pre-computer versions.  But sometimes people not real familiar with them use names for components that are slightly off, like the combination valve vs proportioning valve discussions recently.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Wirenut

I purchased an 86 Mercury station wagon similar in appearance to the one in the Chevy Chase family vacation movie. The ugliest wagon I think ever made. It had 60k miles, I paid 600.00 dollars for it and bought it to transplant the motor and drivetrain into my 57.  The rear end was too wide but I was happy with the original Ford 9". I had a local engine builder go through the block and add a  thumper cam, upgraded heads and intake to get rid of the emission items. The tranny was an AOD but had Metric stamped on the oil pan. I was not familiar with the transmission at the time and didn't think much about it other than it had overdrive, which is what I wanted.
Once I installed the AOD I was worried I'd burn it up before I got it adjusted correctly. I did not use the factory linkage or cable. Everything I read about getting them set right to shift properly indicated using a pressure gauge in setting them up and how easy it was to burn up if out of adjustment, even on a short test drive.
I made several attempts and test drives to get it shifting right. Initially it was short shifting and needed minor linkage adjustments to finally get it set.  I am not running a high horsepower engine so it fits my needs and is great for cruises.  I've had it in the car for at least 10 years and it has performed well and been trouble free. I would recommend them.