News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A-arm bushing find

Started by Ottoparts, 2021-03-11 08:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottoparts

I'm currently going through the front suspension on my ranchero. Other than everything being worn out and bent tie rods, it hasn't been to surprising. That was until last night.
The drivers side lower a-arm has some damage around the bushing. No biggie as I will just repair it. When I went to remove it, it wasn't budging. Started giving it a closer look to see if it was just me and sure enough I had a problem. Someone else may have, however I never have seen a bushing welded to the a-arm before.

rmk57

I'm not seeing where it's welded. It looks like the flange of the bushing is up against the a-arm, like should it be. Maybe I'm missing something?

Looked at it again. Is it where you marked it with a felt pen?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ottoparts

Quote from: rmk57 on 2021-03-11 09:28
  I'm not seeing where it's welded. It looks like the flange of the bushing is up against the a-arm, like should it be. Maybe I'm missing something?

Looked at it again. Is it where you marked it with a felt pen?

You are correct in the picture with the felt pen is marked on top of the welds. In the picture without the ink, you can follow the outer line circle of the bushing. The bushing edge is sharp and then fades away. The faded away parts are the welds.

Lgcustom

An angle grinder should fix that right up!

Ottoparts

Quote from: Lgcustom on 2021-03-11 10:24
An angle grinder should fix that right up!

That's what I used. Came out quick after cutting the welds. I will be repairing the a-arm tonight.

Frankenstein57

I've seen them spot welded to keep them from moving, Mark

brushwolf

I have too... Probably means the hole has stretched out and the weld was to keep it locked in place...
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird