News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE 153 tooth flywheel with later starter

Started by Fabulous50s, 2021-03-13 15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

In my 59 Galaxie with a 352. I know some things have been changed over the years as it has a later (wide) bolt pattern bell housing and a 69 Toploader 3 speed.

I am putting a 4 speed O/D in it and have everything out.

It has the early 153 tooth flywheel, but has the later starter. I question if the correct bendix is on it because it makes quite a bit of whine when starting.

I know there is a bendix made to fit the late starter which will work with the 153 tooth flywheel, but how can I conform I have it? The ring gear looks great and the pinion on the starter does too, but i dont think it's that old.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

KULTULZ

This was answered (not by me) on another forum -

QuoteJohn Vermeerisch at Total Performance is the guy to contact for a bendix that will work on the 153 tooth ring using the modern lever type starter. His part number is C5A-11350-TP (TP for Total Performance). John has a history with Ford and Ford engines. The gear on his bendix is machined to work so this is not apart number available from FoMoCo. Here is a link for contact:

https://totalperformanceinc.com/contact-us

I posted this for anyone else that runs across this problem.

BTW - The proper term is STARTER DRIVER. BENDIX is a GM term ...  :090:
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

brushwolf

Thanks for posting that link, I think I have the same issue with one of my cars.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Fabulous50s

Since I am swapping the transmission to a T170F overdrive. I took out the bell, and flywheel. I ended up changing to 184 tooth ring gear on my existing flywheel. Now I can always use off the shelf later starter. Otherwise I would have changed the starter drive pinion gear to match my 153 tooth ring gear.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.