News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old style brake booster on Mercury

Started by Geofordman, 2008-10-19 23:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Geofordman

I have a Mercury Meteor Rideau500 (like a Fairlane 500) and it has factory power brakes anybody heard of or used this Kelsey Hayes wheel company brake bellows booster? My car doesn't run yet and I like the way this booster hides under the dash not on the firewall. Anybody heard of these?

Ford Blue blood

I've seen two 57s with this same booster set-up.  Don't know if the booster was the same one you're talking about or not but it was bellows under the dash.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

A guy had a system on ebay that I never saw before. For a 57, maybe that was it, Mark

Geofordman

Has anybody used this system? Do you think it will still work and do you know of anyplace that I may be able to get parts if I try to resurrect this system? The car hasn't moved under it's own power in 30 years. My plans are to give the car 4-wheel disc brakes, Granada up front and '96 Taurus out back with a Mustang SVO (aluminum)M/C. This is a system I used on my '64 Fairlane. It worked great but power assist would be nice and with no booster on the firewall it leaves a cleaner appearace and more room for my 4.6.

57AGIN

Geofordman:

I don't know anything about the brake bellows booster, but I do have a suggested alternative.  If you go to the March 2008 Newsletter, check out Rick Crawford's installation of the ABS electric hydraulic brake system.  He has his mounted in his FE 427 powered 57 and 4 wheel disc brake setup.  I have the same system in my 351W powered 57, but it is the front disc rear drum setup.  We both are very satisfied with the results. It is a bit pricey and you won't find them in the wrecking yards, but there is no big booster to deal with.  The electric hydraulic pump can be mounted just about anywhere as long as it is below the relatively small brake fluid reservoir.

I've attached a photo of my old Brake vacuum booster setup and the new electric hydraulic (all you see now is the fluid reservoir) setup.  Quite a difference and it actually stops better (not much, but still better).

Bob
57AGIN

Lou

About 20 years ago I had a very low milage 59 Ford Fairlane 500 4 door hardtop with this type of brake booster on it. I worked very well. I have seen this type of booster set up on 58/60 Thunderbirds, 59 Mercury's, and 58/59 Fords. The only problem I can see with it is if the bellows rubber deteriorates.

Geofordman

For those that don't know what I'm talkin' about here is a pic from the underside of my dash.

JPotter57

Thats half of it.  The rest is located inside the left front fenderwell.  It is a vacuum can about the size of a riding lawnmower gas tank, or large canned ham can.  That is what the big vacuum line coming off the bellows connects to.  Hard to find these complete and working because as Lou said, the bellows deteriorates.  For what its worth, I sold one of these on ebay last year for about $300 complete with pedal....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Geofordman

Very interesting, now I gotta go look under my fender and see what I got. I will also try to disassemble the bellows and check the diaphram for cracks or dried out rubber. Thanks for your info. Now has anybody used this system on a car, and how does it feel, is it like normal modern power boosters?

JPotter57

When you open the hood, it will be mounted on the backside of the driver side inner fender, at the back.  This is what it looks like.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Geofordman