News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 country sedan build

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-03-21 00:57

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Hugh....I got them from Concourse, apparently before they ran out. Although I see pic of two body mount bolts in the front brace. My car did not come with those so I am not sure if I need them or not.

Here is where I stand at the moment for metal work. OFf to get sealers, epoxy etc. today and then may work a bit on her. Maybe
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

I'd say if you have them in your set...put them in. Could be the ones that were there came out due to a rusted bolt going away, or perhaps someone else started work on it at one time and gave up...never returning the originals to their place?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

I've wondered the same thing about the extra hole.  The aftermarket body cushion sets do not have a left over cushion.  One of the few '57 models I have NOT worked on is the Sunliner.  Does the Sunliner X frame line up with that extra hole?

alvin stadel

Gary, it has been over 20 years since I built my sunliner. I had a very rusted sunliner body ahd a nice, [OK] 2drht body. I put the hard top body on the sunliner frame and made a convertable out of the hard top, using all the convert. parts. all the holes matched up, but like I said that was 20 years ago, sometimes I don't remeber so good , but I am sure I am right on this one. I still have the car, and if I don't say anything everyone thinks it is factory.

1930artdeco

Not that bad of a figment for a first timer who has never done this before. Off to the main pan next and by next month hopefully I can get my me or over to help and get them installed.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

1930artdeco

Small update. I had to buy a new welder as the one I had crapped out after buying a new gun :mumum: . Well got an EASB that will do all three processes and am having fun welding with it now. I finished adding a patch piece to the toe board and will not have to grind down the welds and then start to fit it to the car. Once done I will tack in place and start on the floor pan. Now that it is now freezing in the garage.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

Ford Blue blood

That brace on my Ranchero had both holes bolted to the frame.  If you can blow up the first pic you can see the brace off the frame under the second hole.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

1930artdeco

It looks like I am missing apiece under the inner most body mount hole. I don't think anything was ever there as there are no marks saying something was there. I will still bolt the body down at that point though, just to play it safe.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

Ford Blue blood

Could be the difference in factory/timing.  My car was a CA build, very early in the run.  It came out of the San Diego area, not sure if it was built there, when I purchased it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

1930artdeco

Put the toe board in last night!!!!!!!Over the next few days I will finish welding it in and then start on the floor pan. Progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

RICH MUISE

Quote from: 1930artdeco on 2024-02-07 10:46It looks like I am missing apiece under the inner most body mount hole. I don't think anything was ever there as there are no marks saying something was there. I will still bolt the body down at that point though, just to play it safe.

Mike
I'm trying to figure out what hole you are talking about. Is it the 1/2" or so hole in the floor support brace....center of the pic, about an inch up from the bottom of the pic? If so, could it be from a spotweld removal tool that went all the way thru?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

1930artdeco

Rich, if you look at FBB's picture there is the body floor brace where the two body bolts go (inner and outer). It you look under the inner hole there is something the bolt is attached to. That is what I think I am missing. I don't know of the heat shield is supposed to attach to that piece or not. My heat shield was spot welded to the body (it broke off and had a little spot weld left over).

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

1930artdeco

Added more spots last night to the toe board with a few blow throughs to boot. Soo more holes to fill :mumum:
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

Ford Blue blood

The heat shield is spotted to the floorboard.  Look at the "two row spots" and body bolts, just aft of those are the two spot welds to fasten the heat shield to the floor pan. My Ranchero had the shields on both sides even though it was a six banger......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero