News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Motor mounts

Started by Fabulous50s, 2021-04-02 16:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

I believe all the 57-59 Ford engine mounts are the same for all v8 engines. What brand have you guys used? I've found Anvil brand etc. They all seem pretty cheap, just dont want to have them fall apart. Pulling the engine for a rebuild after I found a rod big end was out of round on my 352.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

59meteor

Actually, the motor mounts are the same for 57 & 58, but the design changed in 59, not sure how long the 59 version was used.The only difference that I can see, is that the 57 & 8 mounts used 2 lower studs per side that fit into the engine crossmember. In 59, Ford changed to a single stud on the bottom, located in between the location of the 2 studs on the 57/8 mounts. On my 59, I bought new mounts from Rock Auto, I don`t know if the new mounts are a bit shorter, or the stud is in a slightly different position, but the bottom stud bottomed out in the crossmember, before the mount itself was all the way down onto the mount pad of the crossmember. I cured this by just adding a thick flat washer between the mount & crossmember. Can`t speak for how sturdy the mounts are, but I do have 2000 miles of fairly brisk driving, including a few trips down the dragstrip, so far, so good.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

The first mounts I used were made by Anchor, just crap. Engine shock around like it was mounted on Jello. Now I forget what brand I replaced them with but they were better. I found the same issue of the studs being to long and wouldn't drop into the frame mounts, I just cut a little off all the studs.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Anchor mounts are no good I separated the rubber from the steel on 2 sets in a matter of months. I found another "brand" (Pioneer?) but they were EXACTLY the same as the Anchors down to the last detail leading me to believe Anchor is the only game in town. I wound up bolting through the mounts with counter sunk bolts. That solved the problem.
Lynn

gasman826

Running a bolt through them is a safety upgrade everyone should be doing.

Fabulous50s

Anchor, that's what I thought. One company making them with several brandings.

So you guys are through bolting the mounts? I'm not visualizing how that wouldn't just end up with essentially a solid mount?

My origional mounts are completely separated and while I have the engine out I'd like to get something which will hold up. I'm not putting any real torque on them, but dont want typical China junk..... if it can be avoided.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.