News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Transmission mount

Started by nitro3847, 2021-04-25 12:27

Previous topic - Next topic

nitro3847

anyone know what transmission mount for a c4 that will match the holes in a 57 crossmember

abe_lugo

On my old rig.  It original was converted to an AOD.  So the crossmember was notched and boxed then a plate was added on top and we drilled some holes.  Used the stock mount.  When we went to the C4.  Believe the holes still lines up.  Some a matter of adding a plate and drilling some holes.  I will have crawl under and take a pic.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

With Abe's post on the AOD in mind, when I notched and altered my cross-member for the 4R70W, the holes ended up within 1/16 of where the originals were. May not mean anything other than Ford apparently strived for consistency for lots of years. I think the actual mount I ended up using was from a 90's Crown Vic
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I used a 2wd Explorer trans mount.  The cross member holes were 1/8" too narrow.  Used a file to widen them out.  The notch is to clear the AOD pan.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

That looks like what I used, and probably was Explorer rather than Crown Vic, as I'm pretty sure Bill was the one that led me in that direction.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

villegas.mgl@gmail.com

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2021-05-13 07:25
I used a 2wd Explorer trans mount.  The cross member holes were 1/8" too narrow.  Used a file to widen them out.  The notch is to clear the AOD pan.

Complete new guy here. Currently swapping my 292 to a 302 with a C4 transmission in my 57 Fairlane 500. What year Explorer trans mounts and cross member did you use?

Ford Blue blood

That should be a bolt in operation.  There are several motor mounts folks used and the transmission will bolt up with no changes.  Shift linkage is the only "custom" thing you'll need to worry about.

63/64 Galaxie 289 mounts, a later model fox body Mustang 302 mount, (can't remember the year) all work, some directly drop in, some with minor mods to the chassis mount holes.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II