News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Air conditioning

Started by terry_208, 2021-05-13 19:40

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

I've installed two GEN IV HVACs in my '57s.  I like the GEN IV and will install a GEN IV in the next project.  I really like the cable converters that allow the use of OEM heater controls to be reused on the outside with new stuff on the inside.  But I installed the second one different than the first.  I used Teflon lined, braided stainless hose for the majority of lines but used more tubing in the second install.  The first, I used a bulkhead fitting in the side of the A pillar (under the cowl drain).  It is a cleaner look but no very serviceable.  It also cost a lot of money and is hidden.  There are eight fittings plus the bulkhead adapter.  A lot of expensive fittings and too many potential leaks.  The second install eliminated the bulkhead, pasted through the firewall and used bendable tubing to go through the core support.  The tubing bends tighter for a neater and more reliable install.  I also found that the Sanden pumps come with dual pulleys and one belt is barely enough.  The only disappointment with the GEN IV is the fan is quite loud for as little air that it moves.  It does move more air than a factory, '57 heater but not as much as new OEM fans.  Once the car is cooled down and the fan is not on high, the air moves around fine with tolerable sound level.  I have wanted to compare the air movement and sound level with the under dash Mark unit.

terry_208

These all look good to me.  Decisions, decisions, I like some parts of all the units.  The part of the under dash unit that I like is I can assemble the interior and later add that unit.  Using the Gen IV with heater means it needs to be installed before the dash. 

When I install ac, I don't believe I want to go through the A-pillar.  Although it does makes a very clean install.  Does anyone have have pics of the hoses running through the firewall, please?

Thanks for all the responses and pics.  It provides lots to think about.     
Terry

lalessi1

i ran my lines through the heater block off plate so I wouldn't have to drill holes in the cowl. I used a bulkhead connector (a black one) and I also used EZ clip fittings and hoses. Vintage Air sells these in a kit but you can buy them separate and get what you need. The advantage is that you cut to fit and make the line connections up yourself. The hoses are smaller in outside diameter and are much more flexible, they use double o-rings under the hose with a crimping tool to get the correct clamping pressure. I really like the system design. If I was to do it again I would "hide" the hoses.
Lynn

terry_208

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, advice and pictures.  Together they make things easier to understand. 

Lynn, by "hide" do you mean run along the inner fender on the tire side?  IRRC, the heater hose ran along the engine side of the inner fender. 
Terry

alvin stadel

Hello Terry, I am sure I will catch some flak for this but don't your window cranks work. Sounds like a lot of work and cash just to be as comfortable as you are when driving one of your new rides.  For me I like my 57's, 65, and 31 to be just like they were when I was in high school.  If I lived in Texas Calif. or some other very warm places maybe I would change my mind  But for me its all the windows down or top down, a couple of cool ones beside me and go back in time when these cars were a lot newer and we were a lot younger and a good time was right in front of us.  But thats just me, I like things simple and the way they used to be.