News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Air conditioning

Started by terry_208, 2021-05-13 19:40

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

What brand of ac units did those of you who have ac install.  Has anyone used a unit from another car, if so what was the donor vehicle? 
Terry

Wirenut

Vintage Air hands down for me. Great system, IMO it's the top of the line and reasonably priced. Easy install for a do it yourselfer and working perfect after 5 years, great tech support.

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

Which mdl of VA did you use?  I seem to remember someone saying that to install ac, you loose the right fresh air vent.  How did you block off the opening?

Terry

RICH MUISE

I used the Gen IV.  I welded my vents  shut, but I had other reasons as well. Not positive I had to.

gasman826

two examples of Gen IV in '57s

lalessi1

I actually installed a 65-66 Mustang evaporator in mine. I had the unit rebuilt by Classic Auto Air and it was converted to use R-134a. Both vents remained as is, but I removed the heater to allow the unit to be installed as far forward as possible to clear the shifter. Removing the heater was not really necessary. The hose connections were on the left side and that allowed the use of the right vent. I had leakage issues and the evaporator did not have o-ring fittings so I went with a Vintage Air Mark IV evaporator. I had to block the right vent. I made a sheet metal block plate with a foam rubber gasket. I put a piece of flat bar with a drilled and tapped center hole on the cowel side of the vent and bolted the block off plate in place. No welding or drilling/cutting the original opening.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Put a VA in mine, (Gen III).  VA will lend you an empty box of the type you purchase for mocking purposes.  You have no idea what a superior idea that is!  Most in-dash units will require one or both of the air vents to be closed off.  Either in dash units will require shortening the glove box.

No welding required if you are VERY lucky and find the stock Ford block off plates they used on factory air cars, be advised they are made of unobtainium!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

terry_208

Thanks for the input.  I was wondering what everyone was using.  I was tempted to go old school hot rodder and adapt something used, but am very afraid it wouldn't perform properly once installed.  That brought me to the VA train of thought. 

I like the look of the second under dash unit Lynn posted because I don't want to install vents in the dash and also don't want to fab a panel to bolt under the dash.   Is that the complete inside unit and could the original heater be retained?
Terry

Wirenut

I siliconed the vent flappers in place. I do miss being able to open them for fresh air intake into the vehicle when driving w/o AC.
The heater was included. Not sure if that was one of your questions.
I do recall, I had to mock up my hoses and clock my fittings, took them to a local shop and they crimped the fittings on for me.
You do lose some glovebox space as mentioned earlier.

terry_208

I had to modify my last post, #8, as I saw I hadn't completed my thought. 

I'm not worried about the glove box space. 
Terry

gasman826

My original glove box was crispy so I bought a AC glove box.  It fit like it was made for it!

RICH MUISE

We keep calling the units A/C, and I guess technically it's still correct, but in my mind (what's left of it), I don't think of heat being a part of A/C, but in fact it is, so as wirenut mentioned, the VintageAir units include the heater, and my GenIV unit heater works great.

Ford Blue blood

Guess we should call them HVAC units?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Quote from: terry_208 on 2021-05-14 16:14
Thanks for the input.  I was wondering what everyone was using.  I was tempted to go old school hot rodder and adapt something used, but am very afraid it wouldn't perform properly once installed.  That brought me to the VA train of thought. 

I like the look of the second under dash unit Lynn posted because I don't want to install vents in the dash and also don't want to fab a panel to bolt under the dash.   Is that the complete inside unit and could the original heater be retained?

That is the entire evaporator and I think you can retain the original heater. The Mark IV Vintage Air unit is a metal reproduction of a popular add on unit from the '60s (I think)! Mine works VERY well, I used it yesterday. Here is a link.... check the dimensions in the installation instructions.

https://www.vintageair.com/search-results/?sqry=mark%20IV
Lynn