Which Power Steering Pump should I use with a John Starks Rack Conversion?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2021-05-18 19:37

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'm about ready to install my engine ( 5.8 /351 Windsor ) and transmission in the chassis,of my Ranchero, and would like to hear from others, on the Forum, that have this, John Starks rack conversion, on which Power Steering pump they recommend, and why.

I've got to buy a pump, so I'd like to purchase the best pump for use with this rack. Fabricating a bracket ,if necessary, is no problem. If it makes a difference.........I'm using the factory serpentine belt system.
Thanks
John

thomasso

The cooling fan on many serpantine systems turn the opposite direction so be sure you use the correct fan blade  Ask me how I know.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

mustang6984

Quote from: thomasso on 2021-05-18 20:29
The cooling fan on many serpantine systems turn the opposite direction so be sure you use the correct fan blade  Ask me how I know.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                I think I hear a story there... :005:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

abe_lugo

Check out my thread on too much pressure. 

I would run the 5.0 mustang pump for the same year as it is used on a rack already. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

I've got his setup and I've always run the stock Ford pump on the '95  4.6. I am on my 4th rack now, for what that's worth. The first one blew out the seals very early, just a few hundred miles, but was probably on the car 4 years give or take before it got driven. The next two were leaky seals, and the recent last one for issues I discussed in the morning coffee thread. I've chaulked it up to poor rubber /rebuild quality in the rack components.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: thomasso on 2021-05-18 20:29

Abe..........Thanks for the advise, good to know..........I'll be using an electric fan, so I should not have such an issue.
Thanks
John